Chapter 26

Day: 425 (Blood Moon)

Days Left: 5055

Lives Saved: 2

"You know, I was really worried that I would just turn into a mindless monster," said Corinna. "Thought that I would lose all control and attack you and Calixte."

"Well, I'm glad you didn't," laughed Harmony.

"Yeah, me too."

The chimaera and the golden knight danced slowly around the room to the gentle music playing from the gramophone, Harmony's hand wrapped around Corinna's waist. Outside, the scarlet sky bled through the curtain, illuminating the floor and walls in a soft pink light.

"I'm just happy that we still get to do this," continued Corinna.

"We can dance whenever we want, you know?" Harmony smiled. "Don't need any excuses or reasoning to dance."

"I know," said Corinna. "It's just different during a blood moon. It's somehow calmer even though it really shouldn't be. Does that make any sense?"

"Not really, but I guess so long as you don't feel like you're going to try and kill anybody, it's all good."

"Yeah..." The golden knight lowered her head. "I think all of that aggression and hostility from previous blood moons was because I was already wearing my mask, even though I didn't know at the time. Fortunately, I'm just like you and Calixte and can control myself." Corinna sighed. "I'm so glad that I didn't get a mask that turned me into some hideous and impractical monster."
Harmony's face scrunched up in disapproval. "Yeah, but you can't do anything new and cool," she chided playfully. "You're just shiny... and still short. I mean, you don't even have a tail."

"You're just jealous that I'm as strong as you are now," huffed Corinna.

"Are not-" Harmony gasped as the golden knight swooped her up in her arms with one swift movement.

"See? Told you."

The chimaera's bright green eyes softened as she gazed down at Corinna. But then that light faded and she glanced away. She imagined that big shining smile and freckled face beaming up at her, but all she saw before her was the knight's golden mask with the painted eyes and lips in a fixed impassive expression.

It's still Corinna behind there, Harmony told herself. Even if you can't see her face, you can still hear her voice and read her movements. She's still there.

Her smile returning, the chimaera requested to be spun around as fast as possible. The golden knight fulfilled the wish and twirled around as quickly as she could whilst Harmony clung onto her, both of them laughing and giggling even as they fell and collapsed onto the floor in a dizzy heap.

Afterwards, Harmony and Calixte ate their dinner; Corinna was unable to as her golden knight form's mask covered her mouth and could not detransform whilst it was a blood moon.

Once she had finished washing-up, Corinna turned to Harmony and said, "I suggest you get plenty of rest. It's a big day tomorrow!"
"Huh?" The chimaera frowned in confusion, calculating in her head that it wasn't the next food drop-off.

"It's been four months. That portal will open again."

"Oh, right..." Harmony mumbled to herself.

"You have packed, haven't you?"

Harmony glanced away in a weak attempt to hide her look of guilt.

Corinna tuttered.

*