Chapter 10*

(Third POV) school counselor

"You're not even French, are you?" Lydia asks snidely, staring at the counselor in front of her. "French-Canadian." Marin explains. "Which means you're a Canadian... who speaks French." Lydia says matter-of-factly. 

"And, seeing as I'm placing my mental health in your hands, how about you tell me what, as a French teacher, qualifies you to be a guidance counselor?" Lydia asks again, sitting back in her chair.

"I have a master's in behavioral psychology and have done over three-hundred hours of field work." Marin says calmly. "Hm. ça va bien. [French: "It's fine."]" Lydia says in a fake happy manner.

"If you're really fine, what are you doing here?" Marin then counters. "Appeasing my parents so they don't take away my car keys." Lydia says, looking at her nails. "Have you talked to your friends about what happened to you? To your sister?" Marin asks, making Lydia look up at her.

"Yeah, they're great. Totally supportive." Lydia lies. "Do you trust them?" Marin then asks, making Lydia frown a bit. "Implicitly." She answers with a fake smile. "Good. But still, be cautious." Marin says.

"Why? Because sometimes, the people closest to you can be the ones holding you back the most?" Lydia asks, frowning at what she just said. "Indeed. Did you read that somewhere?" Marin asks her. "I don't know. Maybe I heard it." Lydia says, slouching back in her chair. "Well, sounds like whoever said it left an impression..." Marin says.

(Stiles POV) Beacon hills high school

I'm talking to Allison about the book we were looking for, having just ran from where Scott and Y/n were sitting. Allison looks at me and giggles, rubbing her forehead awkwardly. "I think you mean—" she begins, but I quickly interrupt her.

"No, I mean Bestiary. And the two of you? I don't want to know what's going on in your heads." I say, frowning at the girl in front of me. At least she and Scott make a good pair, thinking the same things and all.

"Okay, um... can you describe this thing?" Allison then asks, making me think. "Uh, it's probably like a book-- old, worn." I begin, making her raise an eyebrow at me. "...Like, bound in leather?" she suggests, making me nod. "Yes!" I exclaim.

"Seen her grandfather... with a book like that..." I say breathlessly to Scott and Y/n. I'm holding my side and panting from the distance I had just ran. I then run back to Allison, now heavily panting. "Where... does... he... keep it...?" I ask, wheezing a bit.

I then run back to Scott and y/n, now fully out of breath. I sit down next to them and y/n pats my back with worry. "She says... has to be... office..." I say wheezing again. "Do you want me to go back to her? You seem a little out of it..." y/n asks me. I stand back up and act like I was fine again. "Me? I can go on like this forever... trust me... I have great stamina." I say, seeing Scott facepalm at what I said.

I run back to Allison, now Inhaling from the inhaler I had gotten from Scott. "You know, drug dealers have been using disposable cell phones pretty successfully for years..." I say, looking at Allison through narrow eyes.

"My parents check every call, email, and text message I get. Trust me-- they'd find it." She says, making me shrug. "All right, can you get the book?" I ask, now regaining a normal breathing pattern. "Not without his keys." She then says matter-of-factly.

(Third POV) Lacrosse game

"I need to warn you, by the way-- you might need to be a little patient with me." Gerard says, sitting down on the bleachers. "How come?" Allison asks, sitting down next to her grandfather. "I'll probably have a lot of questions, seeing as I've never actually seen a lacrosse game before..." Gerard says, making Allison nod.