Chapter 17| AYA

I have mixed emotions as Jane drives us to W today. I still can't think of how I will face Cid after last night. Thinking about it, I can't deny that Mama Jane is right. I shouldn't take it against Cid that he was born a Waldon. But, I can't get over the idea that Cid is the Cid Waldon.

I thought, how come the Cid I know differs from the Cid described in the various magazines? So I started checking online articles about Cid on my phone. And pictures of him showed up. Different bars, different women beside him. Celebrities, models, famous businesswomen, socialites, etc. Name it, and it seemed like Cid already had it. I felt bitterness, anger, and though I hate to admit jealousy. Insecurity struck me. I doubted myself. Compared to all those women, I am nothing.

"What is with your face Aya?" Jane asked as she stopped the car in the W parking lot.

"Nothing, I just remembered something."

"Okay, remember what we talked about last night? Be mature and be reasonable," said Jane.

Together, we proceeded to the locker area. As we put on our aprons and prepared ourselves for the start of the day, the group of "birdies" came.

"I can't believe it! I am checking if there might be hidden cams around. Imagine the trainee is the real boss." Lily blurted aloud.

"I am sure many of the girls here will now find Cid attractive!" another lady employee.

Jane looked at me with a smirk. I frown. I guess this is the news Cid mentioned last night. It seems like everyone now knows who Cid is.

"Aya, are you not going to the garden yet?" asked Jane.

"I think I still have like 10 minutes. So I'll pass by the washroom first."

Jane left for his post and I walked to the washroom. After I entered a cubicle, three cashiers entered the bathroom, having the same topic: Cid. Fortunately, they didn't realize that I was inside a stall.

"You know what the cashiers in the HQ were saying about Cid? That he changes his girlfriend more times than he changes his clothes," said cashier 1.

"Well, that is common to billionaire bachelors, I guess!" added Cashier 2.

"More like after sex, next?!" said Cashier 3, and all laughed aloud.

Before I could get out of the cubicle, I heard one of the three ask.

"What will that make Aya?"

"What do you mean?" one answered.

"Aren't they together? Does she know who Cid is?" asked the other.

"Well, good for her. She caught the big fish! But the billion-dollar question is, how long will Cid keep her?"

"For sure, she is his flavor of the month right now."

"Poor Aya! So we should expect her broken-hearted once Cid leaves."

"You bet!" the three said in chorus and left the washroom.

My heart was pounding, and my self-pity was over the roof. I don't know to whom I should blame my anger Cid or the cashiers who just left. Without me noticing it, my tears fell. My inner voice told me, this is just the beginning, Aya. I walked towards the door without wiping my tears. I want to go to the garden, for there I know I will be alone, away from the gossipers. When I stepped outside, I started wiping my tears.

It stopped me when my body hit someone. "Why are you crying? What happened?" Cid's voice echoed in the hallway.

I kept my vision to my feet to avoid his face. "Nothing. Why are you here?"

"I was wondering why you still haven't come to the garden. When I asked Jane, she said you are here. What did those girls do?"

"They did nothing. No one knew I was inside." I lifted my head and stared at him. She is just his flavor of the month. I shook my head, remembering the words spoken in the bathroom. "But, of course, the talk is about you and me. You made me popular overnight!"

"Is that why you are crying?" His fingers gently wiped the tears left on my cheeks. "What did they say?" He breathed aloud. "I will have them fired!"

"Don't do that, Cid! You are just going to make things complicated. Besides, there is nothing they need to talk about us."

"What do you mean Aya?" He tried taking my hand, but I pulled away.

"I have to go to the garden now. Sorry, I need to go."

"Wait, Aya. You told me last night that we are going to talk here today. So what's going on?"

"Let us have that talk some other time, Cid. I have to work now."

My feet run for the garden without giving Cid a second glance. I want to be away from everyone right now. No words can explain how I am feeling. Besides, I don't want to give reason for people to talk. So I went on with my tasks in the garden. Cid didn't show up for the whole morning shift. When lunch break came, I stayed in the pantry area and did not go to the cafeteria. While I had my lunch, Dylan came and joined me at the table.

"How are you, Aya? Is everything okay?" asked Dylan.

"I'm okay. Thanks!"

I assumed that he already knew about Cid. We ate without talking to each other. I don't feel like talking to anyone right now. Then, in the middle of the lunch break, Cid came rushing to the pantry. He looked furious as he approached me at the dining table. What he did as soon as he reached my side surprised me. He pulled me towards him and placed his left arm on my shoulder. He spoke to me while looking at Dylan.

"My Aya, I was waiting for you in the cafeteria. I was hoping we eat lunch together, Babe."

I almost spilled my food on Dylan, sitting opposite me at the dining table. Then, looking at Cid, I noticed his eyes didn't leave Dylan's face. Is he jealous? Is that why suddenly he called me Babe?

"I'll wait for you to finish, Babe. Then we will go to the garden together."

"I will go ahead, Aya, Mr. Waldon. See you around," said Dylan as he stood up and left the pantry.

"What is wrong with you, Cid?"

"Why? What did I do wrong this time, Babe?"

"That is wrong. Why are you calling me Babe here? What if others hear us?"

"That is what I want to happen. I want everybody here to know that we are dating. And for that, Dylan, to know that you are off-limits!"

"We should be more careful and be quiet about us, Cid. Let us not give them a reason to talk about you. I don't want them to put your name out in an unpleasant light. So please don't get connected to me."

Cid placed his hand on his hip as the other brushed his hair. "What do you mean? I do not understand what you are saying."

"Cid, I believe we should think if we will continue dating. It might be a bad idea. "

***