[005] - you evil puffskein spawn

﹒──── ✩   + ❛ ✧!

★✩﹒﹒﹒﹒﹒﹒﹒

[005] -
you evil puffskein spawn

PLAYING CHESS HAD TO BE THE most complicated thing Siobhán had ever done. Why was she saying this? Well, Lily Evans had encouraged her to do a match, and here they were. The pair happened to be in the middle of the Gryffindor common. A board was between them, signifying that the game was still on. And watching the two girls were Alice Foretsecue, Marlene Mckinnon, Dorcas Meadowes, and Mary Macdonald. They could see that the tension in the atmosphere was thin, and sooner or later, one would break it.

Lillian Jean Evans had the precision of a potions master. She was quick, agile, and calculative; you name it. Siobhán could barely keep up as the girl in front of her moved pieces from square to square on the board. Occasionally, she would catch Lily's eye—setting the world ablaze. If Siobhán wanted to win this in a matter of minutes, her four next moves needed to be complicated.

The Scholar's Mate—her plan to win—was something she had learned in the muggle world. Siobhán remembered when her mother taught her all about it. The strategy was a struggle to ace. But now that she was skilled, she would use her bishop and queen to attack the f7 square.

"This is absurd, Lily!" Siobhán whisper-yelled as she saw the auburn-haired girl smile. "You're making my brain hurt."

"Well, ease it up, Parten," Lily said. "You've almost lost it now." Siobhán licked her lips, moving her pieces to e4 and e5, then she proceeded to place her other piece on Bc4.

"Easing it up is my specialty," Siobhán said while grabbing the piece from Bc4 and moving it to Nc6. She continued with the momentum and set her piece from e4 on Qh5. Lily tried to slow Siobhán down, but the effort proved useless. "Don't get so nervous now."

"I'm not nervous!" Lily snipped. Siobhán grinned and got a hold of the piece on Qh5. She positioned it on Nf6.

"Check." Siobhán leaned back. Lily was glaring at her. The brunette could see how nervous she was. Although, it didn't matter now that the f7 pawn was alone—only being protected by a king.

"You've won." Lily ran an aggravated hand through her hair. Siobhán shrugged, finding this as a good opportunity to finish the game. So, she moved her piece to Qxf7#.

"Mate," said Siobhán quietly. Lily dropped her pawn to the side with a sigh.

"Congratulations!" Alice burst into cheer and applause, dragging Marlene toward the two girls in the center of the room. Dorcas and Mary trailed behind with words of encouragement.

"Good job, Siobhán!" Dorcas yelled. Lily started clapping too. "That was incredible."

"Truly." Marlene nodded in agreement.