chapter two: a drink

New York City was abundant with excitement and bustling opportunity. It made her feel alive, her personality didn't thrive off of a comfortable life. She needed the wild untamable environment to drive her, knowing she got bored easily and that would only stunt her growth.

She'd had an exhausting day at her new job, still trying to find structure and handle the ropes of it. It didn't sound like a hard job when she applied but her employees were all but competent and showed up late to almost every shift. That meant she became overwhelmed with rude customers and online orders, paperwork, and stock.

Managing a record store wasn't her dream job or even an aspiration but she was new to the city and jumped at the first chance of employment.

She pledged to only be there for a short while, wanting to effortlessly glide into an occupation that better suited her. She wasn't a very patient person but she moved here to try and tame that lioness inside of her, to train it when to pounce and when to sit. To quell its appetite.

And New York, in just a few weeks, had taught her well. It was alive, crawling with the unknown and that was the most endearing feature of the city.

However, everyone needs a place to recline and revise on life every once in a while.

So she wasn't surprised when she found herself back at that bar the next night.

The Blue Ribbon.

It was where she needed to be. It was quaint and secluded and maybe her reason for coming back was due to more than just the relaxing aura of the establishment.

She wouldn't hide the fact that she'd let her mind stray to him a little too often. She was immensely intrigued by his stormy gaze and flirtatious glances that she was still surprised didn't develop further. It made her want to delve into it, almost like an experiment, see if he was there again and if he was willing to approach her.

She had gotten herself ready while adorning her white bathrobe, subdued and natural hues accentuated her face as she applied her makeup, soft and working her features for a seductive look. She left her hair down, like always, and wore a tight black dress that emphasized the roundness of her breasts and hips.

The bar still housed that classical twinkle of ivory keys, the pianist keeping a slow tempo that soothed her. Sat at the bar again, she tried to remain dignified and didn't even bother to look around for him.

That same bartender was there once more, giving her a sly smirk and quickly coming up to serve her. "Back again?"

She let out a soft laugh, sweeping her gaze across his face. "I couldn't stay away."

"Lucky me," He winked. "Rum tonight? Our rare collection is what we're famous for."

"Just a red wine, please. Merlot, if you have it."

"Of course."

Then she turned and surveyed the crowd, but this time to find a spare seat for a change in scenery. She located a small table towards the side of the room near the piano before the bartender slid a glass of crimson remedy on the countertop for her.

"Thank you." She voiced politely with a smile, reaching for her purse but just like the night before, the bartender shook his head.

"No need."

"Oh, are you sure? I don't want to get you in trouble."

He laughed at that. "Yeah, seriously, it's fine. Don't even worry about it."

"If you insist." She quipped with a raised brow, taking a sip of her drink. She twirled and leaned against the counter, preparing to make her way to the table she'd spotted a few seconds prior.