Chapter 5.

"If you sign here..." Cheryl pointed at one of the many dotted lines Emily needed to write on from the papers they drew up, after their talk yesterday. "...and then the last signature here, and then she's in your custody until the trial. She has to be willing to live with you with less than 3 strikes on her record, when the trial goes to court, but she seems eager to now so keep it that way, please."

"Trust me, I will try." Emily handed the papers back to the woman in front of her and made a bee-line for Leila's room, Cheryl not far behind.

"Knock, knock, you ready to go?"

"Yep! The police said they found my bag?"

"Yeah, JJ has it. We have to stay in the city for another day for Hotch, but then we can head home."

"Won't it be a long drive?" Leila asked.

"We have a jet." Emily was smiling at Leila's face as it lit up at these words.

"Like a real jet? I've never flown before, none of my foster families let me go on vacations with them. Is it scary? Is there turbulence? Will we crash? Oh, my God what if we crash?!"

"Hey, calm down. In the 5 years I've been with the BAU, they've never crashed. It's safe. You can sit with JJ and I."

"Okay." Leila finished packing her last items, as Emily and Cheryl stood waiting for her. "Hey, thanks for having me. No one ever volunteers to take me in, it means a lot."

Emily smiled. "You deserve better."

"If it really comes down to it, and I'm super annoying, you can always return me." The 9 year old teased.

"No can do, little miss. You're stuck with me." Leila walked over to Emily, and put her little arms around the taller brunette's waist. Emily accepted it, she felt as if she was protecting yet another life, even if it's just for a little while. The little brunette walked in between the two adults as they made their way out of the paediatric ward, towards Hotch's room. As soon as they arrived, Emily noticed the team stood in Hotch's room, and stopped. "Ok..." Emily crouched to meet the girl's eyes. "...I have a big team, and they're like my family. I talked to them about you yesterday, and they're excited to meet you, but if you get overwhelmed or anything, just get JJ or I, and we can head to the hotel early."

"I'll be okay, you told me about them all and they seem nice!"

"Okay, you sure?" Emily wanted to make sure they weren't going too fast. The younger brunette just nodded and smiled. "Okay." Emily stood back up, and started towards Hotch's door.

All eyes turned on them as they walked in, and nerves shot through Leila's body. She liked meeting new people - she did it enough with foster families - but knowing all these people work with Emily and sometimes have her life in their hands, she needed to trust them as much as Emily does, but trust is earned not given out for free.

Emily was the first to speak. "Hey, guys."

"Leila!" Hotch spoke from the hospital bed he sat in. "How are you feeling?"

"Good, but what about you? I'm not the one in the hospital bed..."

"Ouch, no need." Hotch clutched his chest jokingly, again.

"So this is Leila..." Morgan said, as he walked over and crouched in front of the small girl. "I'm Derek Morgan." He put his hand out.

Leila wanted to trust these people, they all seemed friendly, and Emily told her they were nice. "So you're chocolate thunder." She shook the hand, a smile creeping on her face.

"Ooh someone's been talking about me." He looked up at Emily.

"Yeah, she talks a lot." Leila's comment earned a chuckle from the entire team, and a fake pained look from Emily.