CHAPTER EIGHT: THE MIND FLAYER PT2

Mike had no trouble forgetting of River in that moment. He pushed past her with a bittersweet smile across his face, and he walked up to El who stared at him.

"Eleven." He smiled.

"Mike." She gasped before pulling him into a quick hug, letting out soft cries.

River watched, and there was a small moment where she felt exactly like she did last year. Replaced, and easily overlooked.

"I never gave up on you." Mike pulled away. "I called you. Every night-Every night, for-"

"353 days." El finished with a nod. "I heard."

"Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?" Mike furrowed his eyebrows as he questioned.

"Because I wouldn't let her." Hop sternly spoke up from behind.

"What the hell is this, where have you been?" Hop walked past Mike who looked at him in disbelief, and stepped up to El.

"Where have you been." She responded with a glare, before he pulled her into a quick hug.

"You've been hiding her." Mike started. "You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike yelled, harshly pushing Hop who turned.

"Hey!" He muttered, pulling him closer by his jacket. "Let's talk, alone."

River watched them walk past, and she then looked back to El, who was staring at her. She felt her negative feelings go away, and she gave a soft smile.

It felt unreal, to see El back, and before River could take the initiative to step up herself, El walked up awkwardly, wiping her tears.

"I've missed you." She whispered, as River nodded in response.

"I've missed you too."

And with that the two girls simply hugged, acknowledging each other's warmth with smiles on their faces.

It was the friendship that River really worried about. Her friendships, and as much as she felt for Mike. Or didn't, who knew. She was all over the place, especially with Andy. She just wanted everyone to be happy, and if that meant getting over herself and her feelings that was okay.

˗ˏˋ✦ ✦ ✦'ˎ˗

"It's not like it was before. It's grown." Hopper started, "A lot. And, I mean-that's considering we can get in there, the place is crawling with those dogs."

"Demo-Dogs." Dustin corrected quickly, causing Hopper to sigh and look down.

"I'm sorry, what?" He shook his head, as he asked.

"I said, uh, Demo-Dogs. Like Demogorgon and Dogs. You put them together, it sounds pretty badass." Dustin explained as River exchanged a short look of disbelief with Lucas.

"How is this important right now?" Hop asked, with his brows furrowed as Dustin turned awkwardly.

"It's not, I'm sorry."

"I can do it." El softly spoke up, with a nod.

"You're not hearing me." Hop shook his head, as he spoke, and stared back at her.

"I'm hearing you, I can do it." She assured, with yet another nod as the room watched them attempt to sort it out.

"Even if El can, there's still another problem." Mike stepped forward, as he spoke and River nodded.

"If the brain dies, the body does too." River muttered, interrupting him as he nodded.

"I thought that was the whole point?" Max questioned as she turned to River who shook her head.