87. Calm Down?

_________________________

.

.

.

"Mommy!" Lucas threw himself into his mother's arms as soon as she walked in. "Where's Ki?"

After all, River had told him that she would only come home with Kiara. But she had to break that promise to herself because George had called her and informed her that Michelia was unwell. The little ones didn't need to know that, and Alessia and Davis were more than capable of protecting her child. She knew for a fact that when it came to trouble, Alessia would put up a much better fight that River ever could.

"Ki is with Zia Sia, honey bun." He visibly cringed at his new nickname which brought a chuckle out of my lips. "They both asked me to tell you that they miss you."

"Can I come visit?" Lucas had his cute sad pout on his face and it took all her willpower to shake her head. "She will be home in a week, babe."

"But that's too long." He whined as River walked over to the kitchen where George was perched up on one of the stools, raising his mug of warm coffee when he saw her. He had obviously seen her coming in as sitting in front of him, was an iPad with live CCTV footages from different angles and areas around and in the apartment complex.

"Take over a second, Vicky?" George asked as soon as he saw River's bodyguard who nodded and took the iPad while George left the room.

"I know it's long but we have to wait until she comes home, right?" River asked, caressing the patched up wound on his face. "You have to get well soon too baby. It makes Mommy sad to see you two like this."

"Don't be sad, Mommy." Lucas said, putting on a brave face. "I am fine. And I know Ki is too."

River smiled, placing her little boy on the counter.

"Did Papa come home?" She asked as she moved to the pantry to get a huge watermelon.

"We slept together but he was gone when I woke up." The little boy informed his mother who just nodded silently as she brought the melon over and expertly cut it into two equal parts.

"Are you making watermelon juice?" He asked. She rarely made it but the kids loved it when she did.

"I sure am." River placed a kiss on his tiny button nose before continuing with her preparation.

"Why don't you go see what Zia Lia is doing?" River helped Lucas down the counter, who took off to his aunt's room immediately.

"You people have been working around the clock because of us, right?" River sighed as she got back to what she was doing.

"So are you ma'am." Victor looked up from the iPad. "And you must be under more pressure than any of us."

River just gave him a small smile.

The landline rang just then. River went over to pick the phone up.

"Hello?"

"Hello Mrs. Adesso, I am calling from the security office." The woman at the other end spoke.

River felt bile rise in her throat immediately. She did not want another bad news now.

"What is it?"

"A man just came and asked about you. He had a picture of you. I sent him away saying that I could not reveal private matters but maybe you should come take a look at his face and see if you have ever met him?"

"Alright. Thanks." River said and hung up, turning to Victor.

"Take care of Luke, Lia and Enzo." She said. "I will be back in a second."

He was already getting off of the chair. "I will come with you ma'am."

"No no no." She was frantic now. "Stay here. I will be back before you know it."

She quickly walked into the elevator and pressed the basement button where the security office was situated. She fidgeted with the hem of her shirt, feeling antsy. Who was looking for her? And how did they reach the apartment – the place Mateo thought was the safest for them?

.

.

.

Mateo slammed his fist down on the desk as he shouted "Fuck!"

"Capo, calm down." Ricardo, one of Mateo's most trusted men, said. Adam and Leonardo were flying back the day after and until then Ricardo took it upon himself to make sure that his Capo doesn't make any rash decision or lose his cool.

"Calm down?" Mateo's voice was deadly low as he slowly looked up at Ricardo. "They had the audacity to attack my children and you expect me to CALM DOWN?" He shouted out the last words as he shoved all that was on the desk to the floor.

"Yeah, calm down." Mateo and Ricardo looked over at the door to see River there.

Mateo sighed as he sat back down - he had ignored her texts and calls all day and he knew that it was the reason she was here.

"Aren't you supposed to be with Ki?" He asked as he leaned back on his chair and closed his eyes.

River raised a brow, suppressing all the retorts that popped up into her mind as soon as the words left his mouth. She looked over at Ricardo and cocked her head in the direction of the door, gesturing for him to give the two some privacy.

He nodded and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"River-" He started but stopped when he opened his eyes and saw her climbing onto the desk, making herself comfortable. His brain immediately flashed pictures of what he wanted to do to her on that desk.

"Get your head out of the gutter!" River rolled her eyes while he moved closer to her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I am still mad at you." She said, tilting her head.

"I know." Mateo sighed and he got off the chair just enough to place a small peck on her lips. "I am mad at me too."

"Can you just come visit Ki?" She asked.

She could see hurt cross across his eyes as soon as their five year old was mentioned.

"I made a vow-"

"I heard about the stupid vow and I think it's bullshit." River said immediately. "This is our daughter we are talking about Mateo and she needs you the most right now and you are not there for here. I am tired of making excuses."

Mateo bit his lip and after a few moments, he finally nodded.

River let out a deep audible breath. "Finally!" She slumped her shoulders.

The corners of Mateo's lips twitched upward as he watched her.

She suddenly remembered the other reason why she was here.

"A detective from Wyoming visited me today morning."

Mateo stood up immediately. "What?"

River nodded her head. "Exactly, and when I was visiting the apartment, the security lady called me saying someone was looking for me. I go down to take a look at who it was and it happened to be the same dude."

Mateo clenched and unclenched his jaw. There was shit going down already. The last thing he needed was some man tailing his wife-to-be.

"What's his name?" Mateo looked around and River rolled her eyes when she realized that he was looking for his phone, which was probably under the pile of files and gadgets he had shoved off the desk a few minutes ago.

"Ian Sanders." River hopped off the desk and watched him kick around the stuff and finally find his phone which was fortunately intact.

Mateo typed away on his phone, a frown etched on his beautiful face. "He was stationed at LA and got a transfer to Wyoming."

River raised a brow; that was sort of odd, wasn't it?

"Why would he leave LA for Wyoming?" She asked.

Mateo turned to her, his jaws set. "I think we will have to find out."

.

.

.

_________________________