Chapter Three: The Frozen Pond

"It won't stop." I said as me and Sky sat down on the grass outside of the school.
"Just try and think about something else." He told me.
"Easy for you to say. You're a specialist."
"Do you want the snow to stop?" Sky questioned. "Because I can just leave you here to sit in a pile of cold." I burst out laughing. I'm not sure what I found funny but Sky started to laugh too and before I knew it, the snow had stopped.

I sighed as I fell back into the grass and Sky lied down beside me. "You left pretty quickly earlier." He said. "When you were talking to Riv."
"Yeah, well, Riv was being Riv." I sighed. "His usual dick self."
"That's understandable." Sky smiled. He then paused before speaking again. "So that girl you were talking to in there... is that-?"
"That's Kenna." I frowned.
"You never told me why you two broke up."
"It was stupid." I claimed. "It really doesn't matter. Besides, why don't we talk about the fact that you were talking to Stella right before you came up to me."
"Do we have to?" Sky asked as he sat up.
"Yes." I stated. "Sky, you cannot go back there again. Stella is crazy."
"She's not that bad."
"You don't have to share a room with her. I'll be lucky if I can still hear by the end of the week."
"You're just being dramatic."
"We all know why Stella did it." I told the boy as I sat up. "I'm just looking out for you."
"Not unless she blinds you." Sky laughed.
"Oooh, did you seriously just make a joke about Stella?" I laughed.
"Well, it's not happening again."
"You're no fun." I sighed as I lied back down.

After a few moments I took a deep breath. "Are you mad that I went and spent the holidays with Riv instead of staying with you?" I asked the boy.
"I get you every summer." Sky smiled. "I had to let Riv have the fun at least once."
"I missed you this summer." I then admitted.
"Yeah, I missed you, too."
"What are we talking about?" Riven questioned as he approached us.
"You." Me and Sky said in unison.
"All good things I hope."
"Yeah, right." I laughed. "Don't you have some first years to perv on?"
"Fuck off." Riven said as Sky laughed.
"Why aren't you at orientation?"
"I got bored. What about you two?"
"Eira made it snow in the middle of the party." Sky said.
"You made it snow?" Riven questioned. I nodded.
"I couldn't help it." I claimed. "I just need more practice."
"Funny you should mention that, actually." Riven smiled. "Because I have an idea."

Riven stood up and began to walk across the field. I shot one glance at Sky before signing and climbing to my feet. "Where exactly are we going?" I questioned.
"You'll see." Riven grinned. I then looked down at Sky who was still sat on the floor.
"Are you coming?" I asked him.

Sky held his hand out and I pulled him up before we ran after Riven. We ended up by the specialist building and Riven had stopped in front of the pond. "Now, will you tell us what this idea of yours is?" I asked him, trying to catch my breath.
"I thought we could go ice skating." Riven smiled.
"It's not frozen." Sky stated as he looked at the water.
"Which is why it's a good thing that Eira is here."
"Do you really think that's a good idea?" I asked. "I've not even had my first day yet."
"Just think of it as practice." Riven said. "Whats the worst that could happen?"
"I freeze everything around me." I told him. "Including you and Sky."
"Yeah, maybe this isn't such a good idea." Sky added.
"Relax." Riven said. "Your godmother said fairy magic is linked with emotion, right?" I nodded my head. "So, think of a time you were really happy and freeze the water."

I looked from Riven to Sky and took a deep breath before bending down and holding my hands above the water. I then thought of a time I was really happy. The summer before last when me and Sky had snuck out of one of my godmother's parties with the food. We were talking and laughing and eating for hours. I couldn't think of anything better. I closed my eyes and replayed that moment over and over in my head and when I opened my eyes, the pond had frozen over. "I did it." I grinned.
"See? I told you you could it." Riven smiled. "Now, ladies first."
"But we don't have any skates." Sky stated.
"You don't need ice skates to go ice skating."
"Uh, it's kind of in the name." I told the boy.
"Oh, just come on." Riven sighed before stepping slowly onto the pond. He then moved his feet and made his way to the middle. "It's perfectly safe." I then turned to Sky.
"After you?" I grinned. Sky smiled back and shook his head gently before climbing onto the ice with me following him.

We probably skated for about twenty minutes. We were laughing, screaming and pushing each other over. For those twenty minutes everything was how it used to be. Just the three of us. Then Sky started dating Stella and it was just me and Riv. Then I guess it was just Riv. "I've missed this." I told the boys as we all skating into the middle of the pond.
"Missed what?" Sky asked me.
"This." I said again. "Us."
"Don't go all soft on us now." Riven told me.
"Yeah, you know what Riv is like when emotions are involved." Sky laughed. I laughed and wrapped my arms around both of the boys before pulling them into a group hug.
"Promise me nothing will change this year." I said. "You're the only family I have left."
"Yeah, I promise." Sky told me.
"To family." Riven added. I smiled at them both and they smiled back right before the ice below us began to crack.

Before we had a chance to move, we fell straight through the ice and into the pond. I screamed before my head fell under the water and when I came back up, the three of burst into laughter once again. "Fuck, it's freezing!" Sky exclaimed.
"Wimp." I laughed.
"Not all of us are immune to the cold, Eira." Riven said.
"I'm not immune." I claimed. "I just... like the cold."
"Coming from the girl who's body temperature is always freezing." Sky added.
"You're still a wimp." I stated before I began to swim through the ice that was now melting.
"Reckon I could beat her to the edge." I heard Riven say from behind me.
"Not before I do." Sky replied before I heard splashing behind me.

I tried to pick up my speed but the boys were too fast. They each grabbed one of my ankles and pulled me back towards them before swimming past me. "YOU CHEATED!" I shouted.
"It's not cheating. It's bending the rules." Riven claimed. I shook my head and began to swim after them. I didn't reach them until they were already at the edge.
"Bending the rules, my arse." I muttered.
"Aw, look who's being a sore loser."
"Fuck off." I said.
"We'll let you win next time then." Sky told me. I grinned.
"That's more like it."
"Er, what's going on here?" A voice questioned.
"Shit." I whispered.

I looked up to see Silva standing above us. He looked angry with his frown and his arms folded. "Out. Now. All of you." He said. We nodded and climbed out of the pond, our clothes dripping wet.
"You know very well you're not supposed to be using magic outside of lessons." Silva told me.
"Saul, it wasn't her fau-"
"I don't want to hear it, Sky." Silva told the boy. "Since it's the first day, I'll let it slide. Just don't let me catch you doing something like this again. Just go and change."