Chapter 2: The Shinning Beacon

Every year kids who come from all different kinds of backgrounds, all different shapes and sizes and all different personalities take the Beacon entrance exam, in hopes to become a hunter and or huntress.

And every year Y/n sat and watched from afar, he analyzed all the most powerful students who came through here. He recognized what they were strong in and what they lacked in. Expanding on his already existing knowledge was difficult, he needed to experience more of what this world can throw at him.

This year he can finally do that, he can use his little experience and many years of analysis. He was prepared for almost everything.

Expect for one thing...

Y/n didn't know what a 'friend' was. Nor did he know how to get one. He couldn't talk, and he rarely showed emotion.

He's lived with only Ozpin and Glynda, who only occasionally visited him. He hasn't interacted with someone his age for years.

He has never once had someone he could call a friend. Not even before the 'incident'.

The one thing this godly prince lacks was humanity.

——

Y/n stands in his fathers office staring at the many kids walking into the castle like school.

He looks down at the kids and carefully examines their weapons, their stature, their facial features, anything he could do to get an edge.

Ozpin notices this and sighs heavily.

Ozpin: "Y/n... you do this every year. Your already above and beyond any of the kids in this school, even the upperclassmen. I think you know this well." he says "So tell me, what is the point of scrutinizing the newcomers."

Y/n looks in the direction of his father and walks towards him. Notebook pulled out of his pant pocket.

He sits right in front of his gray haired dad and writes.

'No matter what, I cannot fall behind in my studies. Examining everything carefully before going headfirst into a potentially dangerous situation is something every hunter should learn."

Ozpin reading this massages his head.

Ozpin: "You always amaze me no matter what you say son."

Y/n looks somewhat proud, and puts away his notebook.

His father sees this and thinks.

Ozpin: "You know, we should do something about that notebook. That is definitely not an effective way of communicating anymore."

Y/n looks at his father like he said something so puzzling.

Ozpin: "Y/n, you've got to understand hunt- no humans need some sort of verbal communication." he explains "I know you can't exactly do that, but i'll have figure something out." he mumbles that last part but Y/n heard.

Y/n pulls out his out book once again.

'I agree, this notebook can be quite inefficient at times. However I have nothing else to use at this point.'

Ozpin nods in agreement with his son.

Ozpin: "This is true." he pauses, thinking diligently "Hmmm, I'll have something before you start classes this year." he puts out his pinkie "I promise."

Y/n lets out a small smirk. The two men interlock pinkies, an unbreakable promise has been formed.

Ozpin: "Now get out of my office, I have things I have to do." he shoos Y/n, who fake surrenders while walking out of his room.