Towel

*Mia's P.O.V*

Esme returns with a towel, handing it to me. She guides me to the bathroom, glancing back at me to make sure I'm following before guiding me upstairs to where a bathroom is. I keep glancing behind me, feeling nervous and anxious. I can smell Esme and Carlisle's scents the most, seeing as they're the ones I've been around.

However, the other five scents were more faded. They had been there recently, however they weren't currently in the house so I was thankful. I flinch slightly when I hear steps behind me, turning and seeing Carlisle behind us. He was fast, much faster than I thought he would be. I thought he would have been slower than that.

"Here," Carlisle carefully sets a stack of clothes on top of my towel, offering me a small smile. I returned it, thankful that he was still being nice. I was suspicious of everyone after the crypt, it wasn't safe to just blindly trust everyone. However...Carlisle was nice, even though he smelled of a sterile building. I wonder what his real scent is..

"Thank you," I manage to speak out, surprised by how quiet my voice is. I consider repeating myself but that would just be embarrassing, especially since he had heard me based on the reassuring smile he gives me. He goes back downstairs, leaving me with Esme.

She opens the door to the bathroom, flicking a switch which makes the room light up. I flinch back, hissing in surprise as I stare at it in surprise. That was weird...it was being lit up by a single bulb that was screwed into the ceiling. I didn't like it. Where were the gas lamps? That had to be safer than this...light thing.

I look at Esme who is looking at me with a raised eyebrow. Her lips are pressed together and I think she is slightly concerned by my reaction. I probably look like a scared animal, the way I've drawn in on myself and am looking at the light with suspicion. She hums slightly as she flicks the switch again, entering the bathroom to draw a curtain away from one of the windows. That lets what little light the storm allows to shine into the room.

"Is this better?" Esme asks, making me nod hesitantly. I still haven't entered the bathroom, not wanting to be in such close quarters with her. That would just make me vulnerable, I didn't want to be vulnerable. She leaves the bathroom, giving me a small smile before she goes downstairs. I glance after her before entering the bathroom, shutting the door behind me.

I twist the little lock before setting the towel and clothes on the counter. I glance at the sink, turning one of the handles which makes water come out. I shiver in excitement, still intrigued by how water could just do that. The first time I had seen water like this was after I had broken into a human's home. I had sat for hours watching the water coming out of the sink...or out of the shower. That was fun to watch too!

I had seen the switch things in that house too but I hadn't touched them. Did every house have them now? That was weird if they did, the switch things were weird and strange. I couldn't tell how they worked so therefore they were strange and weird, not to be trusted by any means.

I put one of my free hands into the water, hissing at the heat from surprise. I watch the mud slip off of my hands, very quickly going down the drain. I moved my hand that was holding my journal under my shirt, taking it out and setting it on the counter. I put my hands under the water, starting to scrub them together to try and get all the mud off.

I even go so far as washing up my arms, trying to not spill water over the floor and mostly succeeding. I wash my face off by cupping water into my hands, roughly scrubbing my hands over my face. I use the towel to wipe my face off when I'm done, happy to finally be semi clean. I strip down, keeping an eye on the door as I start to wipe myself off with the towel. I'm still covered in mud, however the worst of it is off.

I carefully dress in the clothes that are provided to me, noticing that the shirt is a little big. It's a light blue shirt, one that buttons up in the front. I carefully do up the buttons, noticing that the shirt smells like Carlisle. I kind of enjoy his smell, he smells nice when he doesn't smell of the sterile place. He smells like...the woods. But the woods when it's nice and sunny, when the flowers are blooming.

I am surprised to see a sealed package of underwear, one I carefully rip open and pull out a pair. I slip them on, surprised that they fit me somewhat decently. The pants are next, they're comfy and in a dark blue color. I have to tie the strings, something that takes me a moment to do but eventually I do make a bow.

I furrow my eyebrows, trying to figure out what to do with it. I unlock the door, stepping out of the bathroom with the towel and my old clothes in my hands. I've tucked my journal back into the shirt, holding it there with one hand. I start to head downstairs, pausing when Esme meets me at the bottom.

"Do you want me to wash those for you?" Esme asks, making me furrow my eyebrows. I wasn't sure how she would wash the clothes inside the house but I let her take them from me.

"Thank you," I say quietly, glancing around the house. It's very nice and big, I feel strange being in it for that reason. I wasn't used to such big open spaces. I furrow my eyebrows as Esme walks away, looking for Carlisle. He finds me pretty quickly, offering me a cup of blood. I take it from him, my hands shaking slightly as I stare to chug the blood down, letting Carlisle guide me to the kitchen by holding my elbow gently.