"waiting to get the chance"

35: waiting to get the chance

i have never seen the gif but it just punched me in the goddamn face

punched me in the goddamn face

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me your birthday was next week." I jumped at the sound of an unexpected voice but laughed seconds later as I realized it was only Calum taking his seat beside me. This was the first time I had seen him today; he had gotten to school late.

"You act as though it's normal to just go around telling people when your birthday is without being asked," I responded through a chuckle as I turned toward him. Our eyes met and we shared happy smiles. "Oh, Calum—my birthday is next week, just so you know."

"Thanks for telling me," he said with a playful roll of his eyes. "You look pretty today."

"Oh, thanks." I smiled bashfully before looking away from Calum's gaze, and down at my notebook. "You're looking pretty cute yourself, Hood."

"All for you," Calum whispered, his mouth coming closer to my ear. I glanced over at him and shook my head in amusement, just before he created distance between us, all while smiling. I looked over at the empty seat beside me and furrowed my brows.

"Have you seen Noah?" I asked Calum once I had turned back toward him. I had suddenly gotten a weird feeling in my stomach, and I was sure I looked concerned.

"I usually don't see him until this class," Calum told me as he shook his head. "He usually comes in right before the bell, though... you miss him or something?" Before I could respond, Calum's eyes drifted toward something behind me. I turned my head to see Noah walking into the classroom, his foot in a fracture boot and a pair of crutches holding him up. "Fryer... what the hell happened to you?"

"Noah, are you okay?" Calum and I had spoken in unison, once Noah reached our workbench. He looked over at us both and let out a quiet laugh.

"I was helping my g-ma move some stuff yesterday and fell down her stairs," Noah told us through a sigh. "I figure it was better me than her." Noah leaned his crutches against the side of the table before taking a seat. "I'm fine, though. I don't even need the crutches, really—I just wanted to relieve some pressure for a couple of days."

"Mr. Fryer... rough night?" Our teacher walked up to our bench and stole Noah's attention from us; they started talking and I became bored of them, so I turned back to Calum.

"It's like you knew something had happened to him," Calum observed, his eyes squinting as he looked at me. "Are you two linked or something?"

"God, I sure hope not," I said in a whisper, which caused Calum to laugh. "What are you doing tonight?"

"I think I'm going over to Ashton's... with Mikey," Calum told me, thinking to himself. "Unless you were wanting to do something?"

"You can't cancel plans for me," I told him through a laugh. "I like that your friends like me, so don't do anything to make them hate me, would you?" Calum's eyes rolled playfully, but he nodded.