Chapter 18 Reunion

"The reason I am here, Your Imperial Majesty, is because I've received a rather.. Concerning news." Ye An knew that the general was thick-skinned but to completely ignore what Ye An had said and implied in her previous statement, it seemed as if the man was not just built like a fortress, his skin was also as thick as one.

"Oh? And what could that news be to have you travel so far from the Empress Mother's residence?" Even Ye An knew that was a low blow but she couldn't help herself. In Ye An's opinion, if this entire palace was the back of a dragon, those two would be the annoying fleas hovering around the dragon's back, unable to get under the dragon's scales but also not leaving the dragon alone.

Once again, that unshielded jab was ignored. "Your Imperial Majesty, I heard that you are stopping the war with the Northerners."

"Did the Empress Mother ask you to "talk some sense" into me? Or did you have your own informant as well?"

"Regardless, I, as the head of the military would like to ask you to reconsider." General Shao said.

"I have done enough reconsidering to last me a lifetime, General Shao. I won't be changing my decision on abolishing the war if that's what you're here for."

"Your Imperial Majesty, do you know how many men we have dispatched for the nationwide conscription??"

"Did you just raise your voice at me, General Shao?" Ye An eyed the general with pinpoint intensity.

General Shao averted his gaze. "Of course not, Your Imperial Majesty." General Shao averted his gaze.

"Since you said that you have dispatched men to the various districts, ask them to help out with the locals. Many issues have been reported to me from all of the provinces. I believe Chang'an is short on people to manage their crops. Your soldiers could even stay there until summer's end to help them with the harvest."

"Your Imperial Majesty, they're soldiers, not farmers."

Ye An looked right into the general's eyes with obvious distaste over what he had just said. "Correct me if I'm wrong, General Shao. Soldiers protect and aid the country they are serving. Chang'an is where we get all our rice. Doesn't that contrite as national aid? Or is that below the military? Tell me, General Shao, does the military not eat rice?" Ye An's unfiltered eyes flared again before returning to her documents. "Let me know exactly to what districts that your soldiers were dispatched to and I'll arrange some tasks for them."

The general gritted his teeth but gave Ye An a bow and replied, "Noted, Your Imperial Majesty."

"Since you've received news on the war, I assume that you know about the Annual Hunt as well?"

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty. Will you listen to my view regarding the matter?" General Shao asked, thinking that he already knew the answer that he was going to get.

"Sure, go ahead." Ye An looked up and replied without hesitation.