21

"What took you so long?" Sarah inquired as she watched Clary, Simon, and Jace get out of the vampire's van; she had waited for them at the park where Magnus told them that Madzie was kidnapped from

Jace shrugged her off, dismissing the brunette, "Are you sure this is the park?" Clary wondered, looking around wary of the place.

"No, I've been waiting for an hour at the wrong park. What kind of a stupid question is that?" Sarah snapped at the redhead before turning around herself, avoiding her sister's questioning gaze.

"Someone in a bad mood." Jace remarked, walking beside the brunette, who sighed, "Don't get me started."

"Nothing over there. And without the wolves to help us pick up a scent, this is gonna take forever." Simon said after vamp speeding over the park to look for any clue for Madzie.

"We don't have forever. Everyone keep looking." Jace demanded, looking around the place himself; Sarah rolled her eyes at them, "We don't have to. I already found her scarf." She raised the scarf to show them, "Can we go now?"

Sarah activated her tracking rune before closing her eyes, tracking Madzie through her scarf, "Keep heading north." She instructed Simon, who drove the van where she sat behind Clary and Jace.

Shaking her head, the brunette looked out of the window thoughtfully, "It's too easy." She muttered, making Jace turn to her with a frown on his face, "How?"

"Valentine's too smart to have not thought about blocking the signal. If we can track Madzie, it's because he wants us to. We'll be walking into a trap."

"What are you suggesting? That we don't find Madzie?" Simon wondered, glancing at the brunette through the rearview mirror who shared a look with her brother, "That's not what she's saying."

"Simon's right. Trap or no trap, the scarf is our only option. I can't let Valentine activate the Soul-Sword, either. So whatever happens, you can't let him take me alive."

"Don't get too excited to play the martyr just yet," Sarah stated with a scoff looking yet again at the window.

"Uh... Clary, you're kind of freaking me out."

Clary turned to Simon, looking at him intently, "I would rather die than let Valentine destroy the Downworld. I need you to promise me. If Valentine ever gets to me..."

"No. Absolutely not." Simon cut her off, shaking his head vigorously, hating the idea of ever losing, "I promise." Jace chimed in, shocking everyone as they turned to him, but he only kept his eyes on the redhead, "If it ever comes to that, I won't let him take you alive."

"Sarah?" Clary called out, looking intently at the brunette wanting to hear the promise, but Sarah only scoffed in annoyance, "You're all so dramatic." She rolled her eyes as Simon stopped the van.