Chapter 45 - Singing songs of the summer

Falling for you was a very brave thing to do. I had been dauntless, bold. But the problem was that I had fallen for someone who would never be brave enough to fall for me too.

- Unknown

I took a deep breath, wiping my hands on my plaid skirt. We had just received the letter, the invitation. My mother and I had been invited to visit Malfoy Manor.

I was nervous for many reasons, most of all to meet him, the Dark Lord.

Ever since Draco left, I had set a goal to keep myself occupied and achieving it was the only thing I let myself focus on. My life was changing and I needed to change too. I had to adapt to this new environment that was here to stay.

When I'd meet him, I'd be ready. I'd be who they wanted me to be, who I was destined to be. If I had any way to help my dad get out of Azkaban, I had to take it. I had to make him proud.

And I was nervous to see him, to see Draco.

I knew that we most likely wouldn't talk to or even acknowledge each other, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to resist glancing at him when no one was watching. I knew that it had happened and I wanted to know if it had changed him. I wanted to know if he was still the Draco I had grown so fond of.

"Come on, Eleanor, it's time", my mother said, extending the jar of floo powder. I straightened my dress again and put on the Selwyn half-smile before grabbing a fistfull of floo powder.

"Malfoy Manor", I said and dropped the dust at my feet.

It was surprisingly calm at the manor, as there was only one person in the sitting room that we appeared in. But that woman could fill the room just by her presence.

"Ah, Eleanor, long time no see", Bellatrix chimed, standing up from the seat she was sitting in. "Mrs Selwyn, welcome", she greeted my mother.

"It's a pleasure to see you again", my mother told Bellatrix, a smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes. Narcissa walked in and her eyes widened very briefly. She hadn't expected us.

"Eleanor, dear, he wants to see you, he's outside", Bellatrix continued, pushing me towards the exit to the garden. He wanted to see me? He as in the Dark Lord? Why would he want to speak to me personally? Or maybe, she was talking about Draco?

But I was disappointed as soon as my feet hit the sun-scorched grass. I had never seen him in person before, but the long black robes and the skin as white as snow told me all I needed to know. I was about to meet Lord Voldemort.

I forced my feet to start moving and kept the placid facial expression in place. After Dumbledore, this man was probably the most powerful wizard in the entire wizarding world, and he had requested to speak to me.

"You wanted to see me, my Lord?" I asked, making sure my voice didn't shake the tiniest bit. He had his back towards me, but the skinny hands with the long fingernails prepared me for what was to come.

"Ah, Eleanor Selwyn", he sighed. His voice was different than I had imagined. A little eerie, but also surprisingly calm. "I did indeed."

He turned around and I had to use all my power not to scan his face. I forced myself not to break eye contact. I was one of them now and if I could help my father, help Draco, I would.

"A pity about your father", he said. "Couldn't handle the simple task I had given. But if I deem it worth my time, I might release him."

"If there's anything I can do, My Lord, I'm at your service." Never in my life had I acted so submissively, but there was something about his presence that made you want to look down and bow.