twelve

When Kasia again awoke, it was to the sound of children and laughing

As the carriage rolled to a stop, the movement roused Kasia from sleep, her eyelids fluttering as she was momentarily blinded by the sun. Closing them against the bright light, Kasia snuggled her head against the hard metal underneath her.

Wait a second, metal?

Bleary-eyed and blinking rapidly, Kasia bolted upright as she realized her head had been resting against Mando's chest plate, somehow having fallen off to the side from the railing behind her.

The Mandalorian in question, it seemed, was still mercifully asleep, and Kasia thanked the Gods that he hadn't noticed the position she had woken up in—if he had woken up first to find her using him as a pillow... well she doubted he would have been pleased.

Honestly, how does he even sleep in that thing? she wondered suddenly as she looked down at Mando. Or keep from boiling alive any time he goes somewhere with a moderately warm climate?

From her lap, the child slowly sat up as well, obviously having been woken by her sudden movement. She winced and brought a hand down to pat the top of his head.

"Sorry for that Ue'lae," she murmured. She glanced at the two sleeping forms next to them and then out at the small village in front of them, "You know, it might be a good idea to wake them up now," she mused.

The child cooed in agreement at the idea of waking them up so, without another word, Kasia lifted the little guy from her own lap and placed him in Mando's, tasking him with the job of waking the resting warrior. She figured it would be a better start to Mando—or really anyone's—day to be woken up by the kid.

As the child woke up the bounty hunter to her right, Kasia leaned over and gently tapped on Cara's shoulder. Within an instant of the touch the ex-shock trooper bolted upright, hand instinctively unholstering her weapon as her prior training and current experience living on the run came into play.

Kasia reeled back and raised an eyebrow at her, "Someone's a light sleeper."

Suddenly, the voices of the nearby children seemed to grow louder and Kasia glanced to the side to see dozens of kids rushing towards their cruiser. "Everyone, they're here!" she heard one child shout, a band of giggling children in tow as he ran towards them.

At the sight of the gaggle of kids, Kasia couldn't help the smile that spread across her lips; she had always had a soft spot for kids.

Not paying much heed to the three adults seated in the back of the truck, the children all rushed towards the child at the railing who had jumped from Mando's lap after waking him. Kasia chuckled as the children all began to fuss over him and the kid practically basked in the attention.

"Well, looks like they're happy to see us," the Mandalorian remarked a moment later, and Kasia could hardly stifle the laugh that rose to her lips at the obvious observation.