Chapter 7: Alone Time

Walking back to his apartment, Charlie was tense.

Had he really just done that? It was like he physically couldn't help himself. His resolve was fading when it came to you. How could you be so tempting?

Running his hand through his hair, he took a breath and walked inside, ready for some type of argument with Nicole.

As he entered, he saw her sitting on the couch, phone in hand.

"Hey" he said nonchalantly. He walked to the fridge.

She looked over at him

"Did you give her the information she needed about callbacks?" she asked

Charlie nodded  "Yeah, she's all set " he said

Okay so maybe he had lied to his wife a little bit. But only about why he had gone to talk to you.

He couldn't stay away. Being alone with you was intoxicating. You smelled like vanilla and something distinctly you. He imagined you'd taste so sweet too.

As he ate some left-over pasta, he leaned his tall frame against the kitchen sink.

Being torn from his own thoughts by his wife's voice, he looked over at her.

"Henry and I are going to get dinner just the two of us. We might be late because he wants mini golf and ice-cream too. I promised him for his early birthday gift." she stated.

He nodded; mouth full.

"Sounds good, just no ice-cream too late or he will be up all night" he said.

Nicole gave him an annoyed look.

"I know how to parent our child, Charlie." she said.

"Did I say you didn't?" he retorted.

She got up in a huff

"You know what, nevermind." she said as she disappeared into the bedroom.

He was definitely getting drunk tonight.

    Walking up the stairs of your apartment, your head was cloudy with what had just happened. His reaction when you called him sir was at the forefront of your mind.

Had he liked it?

No you knew he had liked it.

He had tensed up, you could hear his breathing change, he clenched his fists at his side like he did when you called him Mr. Barber.

He liked it.

You smiled to yourself as you took off your shoes and sat on the bed. You had made Charlie Barber flustered.

He had a beautiful wife and a sweet little boy, His life seemed perfect. How had you affected him just by calling him sir? It didn't make sense.

As you marked down dates you needed to remember in your calendar, and texted your mom that you're got the job, you turned on your favorite playlist, letting the music distract you from your thoughts.

~

As the night progressed, you found yourself relaxing more and more. You had already slipped out of your dress and put on a big t shirt and comfortable boxers.

Reading your favorite book Pride and Prejudice, you laid back on your bed, feet propped up and a hot tea next to you. You checked your watch and saw that it was already 9:30 PM.

Time flies, you thought.

As you turned the page, about to finish a chapter, your phone rang, making you jump.

You laughed at your reaction and reached over to pick it up off the wooden nightstand next to your bed.

Your eyes went wide.

Charlie was calling.

You sat up quickly, cleared your throat, and answered.

"Hello?" you said softly. He was calling awfully late.

"Hi there" he said slowly.

"What can I do for you, Charlie?" you asked.

He laughed out loud

"There are sooooo many things you can do for me."

He was slurring his words. He was drunk

You blushed. He had drunk dialed you. Where was his wife?

"Mr. Barber, are you drunk?" you asked

"God, there we go with that fucking Mr. Barber shit." he said, his voice tense. "Do you know what that does to me?" he asked

What it does to him? So he did like it.

You paused  before speaking again. "Why are you calling?" you asked curiously.

You could hear his breath come heavier on the other end of the phone. What was he doing over there?

You were getting warm.

He hadn't answered your question

"Charlie... why are you calling?" you asked again.

"I-" he hesitated. "I can't stop thinking about you." he admitted drunkenly

He thought about you? Your stomach filled with butterflies.

He continued

"I can't help myself, Y/N. "he groaned.

He sounded so conflicted and all you wanted to do was comfort him.  Your arousal turned into empathy.

"Charlie... you have a wife." you said sadly

"Fuck her" he said angrily "All we do is fight and I can't take it anymore, Its barely even a marriage. I-" his voice was breaking on the other end.

You felt like crying for him. His life wasn't as perfect as it seemed.

There was a long pause before he said

"Calling was a mistake. I'm  drunk, forgive me"

You heard the click of the receiver and the dial tone indicating that he had hung up.

His words washed over you.

A mistake. Maybe he was right.

Tears threatened to blur your vision. Why were you being so childish? Of course, he didn't actually want you.

~

Tears pricked at the corner of Charlie's eyes.

He had always been an emotional drunk.

Wiping his eyes of any evidence of emotion, he laid on his back, deep in thought.

Why the fuck had he done that?

  He had not only told another woman he wanted her, but he went and took it all back, blaming it on is inebriation.

   He could only imagine what a slap in the face that was.

You sounded so sweet and eager to talk to him when he called. By the end of it you sounded on the verge of tears. He was such an idiot.

Rubbing his face in exhaustion, he rolled over; letting his emotions wash over him.

He was pining for a woman he couldn't have. Drifting off to sleep, the only thing on his mind was you.