Chapter Twenty-Three

Emma has been spending every waking moment stressing over what she is going to do about her potential future moving across the country, 2,797 miles away. Give or take. Things are not looking up for her.

However, there was a brief moment of distraction when Emma's birthday had come around. Regina had surprised her with a pop-up art show, thanks to Kathryn because obviously Regina had no idea where to find one. Although, Regina did know where to take Emma out to dinner beforehand, some classy Italian restaurant where Emma was able to forget about her diet for one evening and indulge in everything that was finger-licking delicious.

The art show was everything and more to Emma; so many up and coming artists with paintings, charcoals, pastels, some sculptures, pottery and photography as well. The variety was overwhelming and Emma was as giddy as a child on Christmas morning, gifted a trip to Disney. Emma knew Regina was less enthused, but her date stood beside her with a smile the entire time. Except for one moment when Emma excused herself to the restroom and some woman had stopped her because she had recognized Emma and heard about her through the grapevine. And maybe Emma chatted with the woman and maybe she received a business card to come check out the stranger's gallery.

On several occasions, Emma had caught Regina just staring at her and not the artwork on display. And Emma had never felt more like a masterpiece all on her own than in that moment. She had never felt so desired in her entire life. Too bad they had a few too many glasses of champagne that night and ended up passing out the second their heads hit the pillow.

Emma had become rather busy with work as well. People these days seem to be obsessed with the idea of fall and anything pumpkin, so her small business spiked. She thought she was busy over the summer, but engagement photos seemed to double and every family was pleading to book time with her to take pictures in some forest that could eventually be used for Christmas cards. Any free time she had, she spent searching for openings for apartments. Ruby pointed out that she was only searching for places that were strictly for rent, never to buy. Emma brushed off the insinuation and found a dinky one-bedroom, but they both knew that was another sign that she was keeping her options open.

Just in case California should ever call.

Regina was spending a lot of time traveling back and forth to California. She had made her decision on a property and was dedicating every free moment to remodeling the abandoned hotel along with building her own home on the many acres as well.

The days spilled into November and before Emma knew it, Thanksgiving was there. There was no more denying their connection and even though they had yet to slap a label on their relationship, everyone knew they were...together. Everyone eventually stopped questioning and talking about it, because even Emma and Regina didn't discuss it. So, they spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey with the Mills and were home by Saturday to celebrate one more Thanksgiving with Emma's parents, Ruby and her grandmother.

"Your place or mine?" Emma asks as they step down from the Swan's home, the bitter air instantly biting at their cheeks and forcing their eyes to water.

Regina wraps her arms securely around Emma's bicep and burrows into her warmth. "Yours," her husky voice murmurs into the night, persuading Emma's heart to fall even more in love with this sexy woman.

"We always stay at mine," Emma complains, moving around her car to unlock Regina's side first. "Are we gonna talk about how ever since I got my own place, you don't want to sleep at yours with me anymore?" She asks, not at all judgmental, but stating the obvious as she pops open the squeaky door for the brunette.

Regina's leather glove gently cups Emma's rosy cheek as her plump lips caress the pout Emma is sporting. Yet, no words are exchanged when she slips into her passenger side and Emma closes the door for her. A smile subconsciously forms when she rounds the car and watches as Regina leans across the center console and unlocks the driver's side for her.