Date Night

(one week later)

"Hey babe, sorry I'm late," he rushed in. He kissed the other on the head before taking the vacant seat across the table.

"It's okay. I understand." There was a moment of silence before anyone spoke up again. "Was it Brendon again?" The man sighed and nodded.

"He keep thinking his body's the same away it was before. It's like any time I tell him that he needs to take it easy, the words go in one ear and out the next. I swear he's as stubborn as a damn mule." The other reached across the table and grabbed hold of the man's hand. Their fingers immediately locked together.

"It's gonna be alright, Spence." The tension that was barely building up slowly diminished. Spencer managed a small, sincere smile. He looked over at his date, a sudden guilt washing over him. He opened his mouth to apologize, but was cutting off before he could get the chance.

"Don't. It's okay really. I knew the situation you were in when we got together. I told you I was fine with it so I don't want you apologizing anymore." Not being able to stop himself, he leaned forward and captured the other's lips with his own. It wasn't a long kiss or hard either. It was a small touch, a gentle 'thank you'.

"You are amazing, Linda." The woman smiled and pushed Spencer on the chest to get him to sit back down.

"I don't need you to tell me that. I already know," she joked with a small giggle. "Now, I've been waiting almost an hour for my boyfriend to get here so for the love of God let's order because I'm starving." Spencer smiled, looking over how Linda gave a small pout. He really hit the jackpot the day the universe decided to put her into his life a month ago.

"As you wish my dear." The couple didn't have to wait long for their food to arrive after ordering which Linda was grateful for. Spencer wouldn't have minded a longer wait though. It would've gave him more time to listen to his girlfriend talk about her day.

When they did start eating, he took the time to admire her dress, noting how if flowed down to conceal her curves. Her hair was pinned in a way that let Spencer know it was a last minute style she probably did in the car before she got the table. There was a nude color lip stick stain on the glass of wine that she insisted they didn't need but Spencer got anyway to please his lady.

When the check came, she debated who'd be paying for the meal, losing when Spencer snatched the bill from her grip. They walked out the restaurant hand in hand. Wanting to continue their date, Spencer suggested a walk around the block.

They moved leisurely with no care in the world. Their pace did result in a few people getting anger from being stuck behind them for a short moment. Spencer would look up at the sky, smiling at the stars twinkling in the clear night.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Spencer turned to Linda, confused at the question.

"Talk about what?" She gave the smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Brendon." Spencer paused for a moment before looking back at the stars. "You don't have to keep it in or wait for group therapy again. You can talk to me about it." She waited for Spencer to respond but got nothing. "I don't mind." Spencer stopped walking and let out a frustrated sigh.

"Linda please. We're having a nice time. Let's not ruin it."

"We're not ruining anything. I can see how tense you are about this and I want to help."

"There's nothing to help because there's nothing wrong."

"Stop lying."

"I'm not lying."

"Yes you are. You're doing that thing where you bite at that skin on your lip when you're worried and now you're bleeding." Spencer brought his hand to his lip, getting the red liquid on the tip of his finger. "Talk to me, Spence." Spencer eyed the shorter woman before pulling her to an empty bench to sit down. They didn't let go of each other's hand which Spencer was thankful for.

"He's just getting worse. That's all." Linda grimaced a moment and squeezed the man's hand. "I can barely get him to eat much anymore. He's starting to look like a walking skeleton. He spends most of the time in bed now, which he hates. He's looking as pale as ever and I'm terrified that the next time I walk into that room, I'm not gonna see his chest moving anymore."

"Is Ryan doing anything about this?" Spencer let out a scoff.

"Like he's any better than me right now. He's practically a zombie, coming straight to Brendon's side as soon as he gets off work. He does persuade Brendon to take some medication to help his sleep or just to get some kind of vitamins into his system. I wouldn't be surprised if he collapses from exhaustion soon." Linda leaned her head on Spencer's shoulder, only able to offer her presence to comfort him.

"I know the day will come but it didn't matter how much time I had to prepare, I'm not ready for this. I don't want to keep waiting for one of his good days so I can take you to meet him. I don't want him to struggle sitting up just so we can look each other in the eyes so I can at least tell him I'm dating this amazing girl. And I want him to be by my side on the day I finally get to marry the one I love."

Linda rubbed Spencer's arm, hating the way his body shook against hers. She wished to take away her boyfriend's pain and heal his soul.

"I just want more time with him."

How could she fix this? How could she make this better? She kept trying to think of ways to help but she couldn't. There was nothing she could do but hold onto him and remind him that he wasn't alone. So that's what she did. They sat in silence under the starry night. Spencer would occasionally apologize only to be smacked by unnecessary 'sorry's. Eventually, he looked over at his with tiny smile pulling at his lip.

"You need to be careful about how much you care for me Linda. I might just fall madly in love with you," Spencer joked to lighten the mood. She leaned over and gave Spencer's cheek a quick peck.

"Let's fall together then."

~~~

A/N:

It was my first day of the semester today and my university closed for the day because of this snow storm that's been going on all day and still going. Downside, ALL my classes are online so snow days no longer exist for me 🙄