Chapter 2

Sabrina walks down the long driveway and politely asks the guard to open the gate for her.

He scratches head in confusion. A short man, in his early 50s and grey-haired. "Are you walking? Mrs. Alden."

Her brows lift in surprise. That was the first time anyone ever called her that. "Yes..."

"Okay... I guess..." He presses a button widening the golden doors.

"Thank you."

She walks for a while before seeing a gate to another home. At that point, she was still going strong; loving the feel of the wind and the heat of the sun on her skin.

She keeps moving until reaching a local road that was alongside a highway. By this time, her legs were becoming weak. Lack of exercise was really affecting her stamina and she was seeing nothing but the road in her sight. She even considered turning back but then, like a mirage in the desert, a light blue and yellow-painted brick building appears.

TONY'S ANIMAL SHELTER. "Yes! She wished she had it in her to do a happy dance.
It couldn't be a more perfect destination for her. She loved animals.

As she entered the shop, she notices a mess everywhere, outside and in. Barking dogs, in the back, newspapers, and dog food sprinkled on what seems to be the front desk.

She finds a bell with a tiny dog wearing a hula-hoop under a sheet of newspaper. After ringing it a few times a woman comes out from the back. She was on the larger end, with long orange messy hair in a low ponytail, and wearing denim overalls and a black t-shirt.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was also deeper than the average woman.

"Um... Well... I was wondering if maybe you needed any volunteers."

Her whole face changed like she was in shock and overjoyed at the same time. Her eyes widened and her hands came out of her pockets.

"Yes definitely! Are you available now?"

"I would love to start now."

"Well come on... I'm Tony, the owner." She introduces herself as she leads Sabrina to the back room. "You're not from around here are you?"

"Not really." Sabrina looks at the animals lined up in cages against the wall.

The town of Brentwood is for the most elite. Only the extremely rich lived around this area. This building looks like it was picked from somewhere else and dropped here.
"I'm Sabrina. She introduces herself but her attention was on a baby poodle.

"That's a $2000 dog. Her owner never came looking for her. Rich people" Tony shakes her head.

Sabrina spent the rest of the afternoon holding down animals to get their nails cut. She helped feed, and clean up after them, and when it got dark she went home. Her legs were aching. She limped to her room and fell straight to sleep.

The next morning, she awakes to Wanda knocking on her door. "Ma'am I was sent to wake you for breakfast. Mrs.Vivian would like for you to join her."

She slowly lifts her eyes open and runs fingers through her hair. As she sits up, she could feel the soreness in her leg muscles instantly. "I will be down in a minute. Thank you, Wanda."