Chapterish 38

| MIAMI |

MOBILE STAR

We pull up to the marina and unload onto the cobblestones. A yellow and blue restaurant sits alongside the water. It's crowded with people for mid-day lunch. Dockhands come and carry our luggage to the yacht.

I fall into step between Brooks and Trix.

We follow the dockhands down the first pier, all the way to the very end. Where it dead-ends into the BIGGEST boat *ship* I've ever seen in real life.

Titanic 2.0 I swear.

"Holy shit," I swear low.

"Damn," Trix echoes my disbelief.

It's easily the most beautiful vessel I've ever seen: Three-tier deck, Jacuzzi up front, tan cushions lining the back, two sets of spiral staircases leading from the cockpit to the top. Two jet-skis rest on the bottom edge. Its sleek black windows surround the entire ship, outlined with recessed lighting.

My eyes find the golden script painted across the side. Mobile Star.

"And this is all ours?" Trix squeals?

"The very first guests," Brody says.

"Test subjects," Brooks corrects.

I'm too busy trying to find words to actually speak.

"This is incredible." I look at Brooks.

He almost seems abashed, but reveling in his praise too. I follow his eyes to the bridge. A man is standing near the edge, waving down to us.

Ken.

"I can't believe we get to live here for the next week," I say quickly, nudging Brooks in the ribs. "You did good."

"Come on." Brooks leads the group onto the yacht.

It only takes me a few seconds to find my sea-legs. None of us are strangers to boats or the slight sensation of rocking beneath our feet.

Everyone piles out.

I side-step Brody, Ken, and Brooks. By the looks of it, Ken is giving a brief instruction set and Brooks is doing his best not to pay attention. Finally, Brooks nods and allows Ken to shake his hand for the briefest of seconds. Brody walks Ken towards us and it's too late to hide.

"Emmeline," Ken says, business-like.

"Mr. Brooks," I nod, half-smiling out of habit. I'll never get used to calling him Brooks.

"Hey Mr. Brooks. Thanks so much for this!" Lauren appears at my side, easing the tension.

"Of course, future Mrs. Brooks," Ken laughs.

Clearly we see who the favorite girlfriend is. Then again, it's never been a secret that Brody's relationship with his father far out-strips Brooks's.

"And don't forget. You two are coming over before you fly back. Dinner at the club. Brody knows the details. Ah, I have to take this, Ken says, already pulling out his phone to answer a call.

Ken is already off the boat, no longer even paying attention to the 10 twenty-something's he just handed his yacht over to when he shouts back. "Have fun kids."

Brooks is back at my side, relaxed as ever.

"So, who wants a tour?" He asks.

We all line up to walk through the yacht together. First stop is the main cockpit deck where we boarded. A huge semi-circle lounge wraps around a marble table. Drink coolers are built into the sides of the deck. It opens into a vast sitting room trimmed with glossy wood and gold railings. Complete kitchen. The breakfast bar is piled high with fresh fruit and assorted pastries.