Chapter Thirty-Seven

The beach house was crowded with students celebrating their ending of senior year. Parties were not Ember's cup of tea, but she figured that this would take her mind off things. It wouldn't hurt to go out and have fun sometimes considering that her life was filled with drama. Also, studying for the end of the year exams stressed her.

Standing inside of the kitchen, Ember picked up an unopened bottle of water. There were several red cups lined along the table with an alcoholic beverage inside of them. She had never drank before and she didn't plan to start at this party. Some of the young boys were desperate, ruthless and would roofie a drink just to get in a girls pants then later brag about it with his boys. In no time the girl would be getting slut shamed around the school for giving it up on the first night to a stranger. Ember refused to be their next victim.

Her eyes danced around the kitchen. In the corner a couple was lip locked, practically having sex. A group of girls stood on the other side of the bar, conversing, and laughing while drinking from the red cups. The speakers blasted loudly outside. Parties were too loud for Ember which was why she hated when Namiko dragged her out to teen clubs when they were friends. They were overcrowded, and everyone being huddled together, dancing and sweating didn't smell pleasant.

Immediately Ember rolled her eyes once she saw who had approached her. The crush that she had on Jacoby for the past year in high school was long gone. Every time she laid eyes on him she became annoyed.

"Ember, what's up? I haven't seen you around in a while." Jacoby greeted. Her cousin Damien was not too far behind him.

It's been months and they have not spoken. She had been giving Damien the cold shoulder and he was trying to figure out why. He asked her to talk yet Ember bypassed him without uttering a word. Damien didn't kiss ass, not even his family members. She saw him as another shady family member that she didn't want to deal with anymore. She was even confused on when he started hanging with Jacoby since Damien didn't quite like Tyrell. Jacoby and Tyrell were tight, everyone knew that.

"Nothing." Ember says blandly. 

Ignoring the tone of her voice, Jacoby proceeded to spark a conversation, "This a party, you can't get lit off no water. Want a drink?"

Jacoby got an empty cup and poured alcohol before motioning it towards Ember.

"I'm good, I don't drink."

"One cup won't hurt." Jacoby tried convincing but Ember was still not having it.

The only person she trusted at this party was Adonis. He would probably be pissed if he realized that Ember snuck off from him. He was still outside playing football with Trevor, Malik and other boys. All she wanted was something to drink because she was parched.

"Nigga, she said no." Damien tells him sternly.

Ember watched as Damien and Jacoby stared at one another. Damien gave him a cold look. Jacoby clenched and unclenched his jaw, yet he didn't say anything, just walked away. Regardless of their issues between one another, Damien would still have his cousins back.

"Since when did you start hanging with Jacoby?"

"Why you all up in my business?"

"Like you're never in mine." Ember rolled her eyes at him.

"I was just doing what I was asked to do."

"Are you here to watch me again? Go back and tell my dad about what I'm doing?" Ember asked.

Damien chuckled. "Nah. I'm here on business for my pops and it ain't with you."

"Business for uncle Ezra?"