CHAPTER THREE: THE CASE OF THE MISSING LIFEGUARD

The three girls stayed in El's room, Max dancing around as El and River looked through various magazines.

Opening the page to a picture of Ralph Macchio, El's eyes lightened up before she stared at it, causing the other two girls to exchange looks and chuckle.

"You found Ralph Macchio." River stated, leaning forward as Max stepped up, leaning against the bed as she nodded.

"Yeah he's the karate kid. Hi-Ya!" Max exclaimed, chopping air, causing the other two to back up as they laughed lightly. "He's so hot, right? I bet he's an amazing kisser too."

"Hey, uh-" Max started, sitting next to River who had scooted over, making space for her. "Is Mike a good kisser."

This questioned had caused River to look up from the magazines. Though, of course only to engage in conversation with the girls. No other reason.

"I don't know. He's my first boyfriend." El shrugged shyly, as River nodded.

"Ex boyfriend." Max corrected, causing El to look down as River stayed quiet, before forcing a smile.

"Hey don't worry about it alright? He'll come crawling back." River assured with a nod, before clearing her throat, "He really likes you."

"Oh my god, I bet there all totally wallowing in self pity right now!" Max snickered, mocking the boys, "God what i'd give to see their faces right now."

Her last sentence had caused El and River to exchange looks, and a smile grew on El's face as Max furrowed her eyebrows.

"What is it?"

A few minutes later, El was sat on the floor as River and Max sat on her bed, leaning forward in excitement.

"Is this really going to work?" Max questioned softly, over the radio static from behind El, who gave her a firm nod.

"Holy shit, this is insane!" She gushed, shaking her head in disbelief and excitement.

"Max."

"Yeah, quiet, sorry."

The two girls had waited before hearing El speak up once again, causing them to sit closer. "I see them."

"What are they doing?" Max asked, furrowing her brows as River studied the girl using her powers closely.

"Eating." El quickly responded, causing the other two to nod.

"They say we are species." El stated, keeping still. "Emotion, not logic."

"What?" Max and River spoke up in unison, shaking their heads.

El had then quickly thrown the blindfold off, glancing at the girls with her eyes widened.

"Whats wrong?" River was quick to ask, as the young girl in front of her broke out into laughter, causing Max and River to exchanged confused looks, slowly laughing as well.

Though, when a car had approached they looked up quickly before El shook her head.

"Hopper." She informed, giving the other two magazines as they all laid on the floor.