Chapter 10: The Wolf and The Pelican

Harry's friends were starting to get worried. It had been three days since he had woken up and heard what he had become, and he hadn't spoken to anyone since. He refused to come out of the hospital wing, despite the fact that Madame Pomfrey had cleared him to go back to school. Hermione, Ron and Ginny had been to see him at least three times a day, and Sev, Minh and Eustace had made a few visits, but he just ignored them when they did come. Even the Marauders had been allowed to go to Corvus Corax for a while to see how their friend was doing, but the whole time they were there he simply stared at the ceiling.

Everyone was concerned for Harry's mental state. He had not taken the news of his change very well, and seemed to be shutting out the world in the hope that it would all go away. But there was nothing to be done. What was done was done, but Harry just wouldn't accept it. He had convinced himself he was a monster, and there was no changing his mind. As he lay there in bed, he sank further and further into depression.

" Ginny! Wait!"

The youngest Weasley span around when she heard Remus' voice behind her. The pair had become good friends over the months she had been there, spending time together in the library and helping each other with homework. They were very close, although Remus had never told her his biggest secret. However, he thought now would be a good time to bring it up.

" Ginny, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Nodding, Ginny turned and continued her slow walk around the lake. She had come out for some fresh air in the hope that it would clear her head, but it didn't seem to help. Her head was filled with thoughts of how to help Harry, but none of them seemed plausible. Seeing Remus looking so anxious, she turned her full attention to him.

" What is it, Remus."

The werewolf sat down on the bank of the lake and gestured for Ginny to do the same. Once she was seated, he started to explain.

" Ginny, I wanted to talk to you about a few things. Especially about me, and Harry."

" Go on."

" I was wondering how Harry was. When we saw him the other day, he seemed to be in shock or something. I must admit, I was surprised when I heard what happened, but he seems to be taking it really badly."

" Remus, what I'm going to tell you can't go any further. Alright?" Ginny said, coming to a decision. She needed someone objective to confide it, and she couldn't get that with Ron and Hermione.

" Of course. You can tell me anything."

" The thing is…Harry's taking this really badly because all he's ever wanted in his life was to be loved, and to be normal. Since he started school, he's been hounded by the press and students alike because where we're from, he's really famous. He always feels as if people think he's special, and so he just wants to be normal. Now, I think he's under the impression that he can never be normal again. Any chance he ever had of it has been taken away."

" What is he famous for?"

" Remus, I'm going to tell you a story. You might not believe me, but it's true. Just listen, and don't interrupt me. And whatever you do, don't tell anyone."

" I promise."

And so, she told him. Told him about Harry being the Boy-Who-Lived, the Philosopher's Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, and the Triwizard Tournament. She spoke of the amulet and their time with the founders, and fighting Grindelwald. She described their captivity in greater detail, and spoke of all they had suffered. She left out details such as their real names, and anything Remus could use to connect his friends to Harry's parents. She left out too many details of the future that could easily be altered. The boy listened in awe as she told her story, and Harry's story. By the end, he didn't know what to say.