Chapter 1

Summer is coming to an end which means I go back to school soon, well not for another week. Unlike most students who leave for break going home then returning to school. I have no home. Alfea is my home. So I spent most of my break here studying, training, sleeping, and mainly alone. There are other students who stay at school but I've never been one for social interactions. Sure I have friends but not many. Everyone knows me just like I know everyone but none of them are really friends. We talk here and there but I wouldn't pour my heart out to them. Jacob has been my best friend since I started at Alfea. He's a specialist. Other than him I have Riven. This year though Musa will be joining. The only girl I've ever really been friends with has been Musa. I remember meeting her at age 15 on a swing set when headmistress Dowling let me travel with her. We've been best friends since. I've been at Alfea since I was 15. I'm now 17 in my third year of school.

"Silvermist I see you're still cooped up in your room," headmistress Dowling said as she stands in my doorway. The best part about being a third-year is that you get your own room. No more sharing with girls who are only interested in gossiping or complaining.

"Yep just getting my alone time till I have to go be social in a week" I smile fakely closing my computer.

"Well maybe a nice walk or training is due," she says closing the door behind her. I quickly open my computer back up and quit the website that displayed information on changelings.

Maybe I could do with some training.

I quickly change my clothes into black combat boots, a pair of sports leggings and a black sports bra, and a zip up jacket. Before collecting my gym bag and making my way to the garden. Most Specialists train on these grounds. But I like to train during the mornings when school is in which are now afternoons as we are still on break.

I am a fire fairy. Or that's what everyone thinks.

So it's weird for people to see me training like a Specialist. But I enjoy getting the exercise and learning combat. Ever since I came to Alfea it's been my way of escaping reality. So I train myself, in the mornings when nobody is around. Ms Dowling knows of my training but doesn't question it.

I make my way to the garden which seems so small when nobody is around. In the center are platforms for fighting, and on the sides, there are punching bags and other weapons. I make my way to a punching bag dropping my bag before I begin to stretch and begin my run.

Making my way back to the punching bag after taking a run around the campus. I noticed that Silva was just leaving. He's the head of the Specialists. He's never said anything about my training but I know he doesn't like it. Thank god he's left. I change songs on my headphones and increase the volume to nearly full before I start punching and kicking. One, two three, left right left. Up downside. One, two—

I shriek as I feel an arm touch my shoulder. I turn around ready to hit my third punch when I see a person standing in front of me.

"What the fuck you scared the crap out of me," I say pausing my music and taking off my headphones. In front of me stood Sky. He was in the class below me but older as I joined a year early into the program.

"Sorry didn't mean to frighten you," he says laughing and putting his hands into his pockets almost as if he was nervous.

"Did you need something?" I say quizzically wondering why he was disturbing me.

"Your waist moves too much when you punch," he says pointing down to my waist.

"What" I say not understanding what the fuck he was saying.

"Here I'll show you to turn around like you're about to punch," he says, turning me around by the waist. Despite the cold weather, his hands were warm on my skin. I turn around as if I'm about to punch.

"Here," he says, grabbing my waist and moving it towards a straight position.

"Now punch you will have more force," he says before letting me go. As soon as he lets go the warmth left my skin. And for some reason, I wanted his hands back in my waist. I dismiss my thoughts and try his technique punching the bag.

"Nice that was good, where did you learn to punch like that I thought you were a fire fairy," he says putting his hands back into his pockets.

"I am I just like knowing how to defend myself if all else fails," I say before deciding I was done with my training for the day.

"You come here often, to train I mean" he watches me like a hawk putting my stuff into my bag and zipping up my jacket. It all of the sudden felt very cold.

"Sometimes why?" I asked picking up my bag and slinging it across my body.

"Never thought you would have time with all the fairy training and you being one of the best" Sky was among royalty in the school. He was by far the best Specialist however, this was the first time I had ever talked to him. Then again I never really socialize.

"So you know who I am," I say a bit too confidently. 

"Who doesn't know who you are? Silvermist. People are either jealous of the control and power you have, or want to be you, or option number 3 they are interested in getting with you" he says smugly as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Which one are you?" I say before walking away, back to campus. The last thing I hear is him laugh before I'm enveloped into the warm air of the Alfea building.