Chapter 45

Chapter 45

The funeral service was at early in the morning. I couldn't miss it so I went, attended it and said my last words to her. After the burial, I sat by her grave, remembering and missing her. There were so many things I wanted to say to her, share with her, laugh with her but I never got a chance.

I wasn't sure what made me more sad, that I left her alone for eight months or that her death was my fault.

Luciano appeared beside me, dressed all black. He got down and sat, folding his legs across the other one. His hand extended to my shoulder and I laid my head over his chest.

"I'm sure she isn't mad at you so stop wondering that. She could never be."

"How was she when you saw her?" I asked him, my eyes brightening.

"She was a little sad over the fact that you took side of the wrong people but she wasn't angry at you. She loved you, always. Whenever I visited her, she asked me how you were doing and what was happening. I didn't know much but I told her that you were fine." He explained, looking down at my eyes that were empty and foreign.

I sighed with relief. "I wish I could see just one more time."

"You will, I promise." He tugged me closer and patted my back. "She is watching over you along with your parents."

My pulse raced at the thought of my parents. Gretel took everything away from me, my mother killed herself because of her along with my father, Nana was killed by her and she was still keeping my daughter hostage. She had stole all of my happiness like the witch she was.

As a thought struck in my mind, I stood up and turned sideways, away from Nana's grave.

"What happened?" Luciano followed me out of the cemetery.

"I want to go back." I replied, standing in front of his car.

"Right now?"

"Yes,"

"Red, you should stay here for a few more days." He suggested.

"I don't want too!" I didn't want to feel the pain, I wanted to shut it all off and I couldn't when I could see Nana everywhere I looked.

Whitebridge was filled with her memories, every inch of this town reminded me of her, more than ever. I could imagine her walking beside me whenever we went to get some groceries. I could imagine her taking me to the park when I was a child and I would scream for an ice-cream when the the truck passed by.

"All right, calm down." He pressed hard on my shoulders. "Let's go your house first and then you can decide."

The house smelled of death and misery. Luciano shut the door behind me and walked along my side. I froze on my steps, right over the welcome mat as the scent of Nana hit me.

"I don't want to be here." I said, my tears at the verge of spilling out.

"It's going to fine. Just sit down and have something to eat." He kissed my forehead and directed me to the couches.

The stale air sickened me to the stomach. Biting the insides of my cheek, I sat down, occasionally looking at Luciano and Lisa who were at the kitchen, talking. I could hear their whispers even when they were low.

I pulled my legs up to my chest and wrapped my arms around then. Closing my eyes, I only saw Gretel and her death in front of me. The urge to kill her, painfully, was more stronger than any other emotion inside of me. I wanted to kill everything that made her smile, I wanted to ruin her, rip her happiness away and then bury her six feet down to the ground.

"She wants to go back," Luciano said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"She can't go back. She needs to grieve, at least for a few days." Lisa replied to him.

"Exactly. I know what she's going to do when she goes back. And, once she starts with the magic and witchcraft again, she'll loose her emotions."

I lifted my head, glaring at them both. Getting up, I walked inside the kitchen and grabbed an apple from the counter.

"I have grieved enough for eight months. I think it's time I get a break," I gave them both a look so they could stop worrying about me.

I didn't need anyone to worry about me. The only one I cared for the most was dead, long gone and in peace. Nothing else mattered.

"Red. You should stay here," Lisa suggested, holding my elbow. "At least for sometime. You can stay with my parents. It's too quick to go back and start again with everything you had been doing."

"I don't want to stay here, Lisa." I snapped at her and then breathed to calm my racing nerves. "I don't want to be miserable anymore and staying here is going to remind me of the time I don't want to think about."

I didn't want to cry every single time I heard the ice cream truck pass by. I didn't want people to look at me with sympathy whenever they crossed past me. I didn't want Mayor Thomas to be sorry about Nana's death every time I saw him.

I wanted move on.

From everything.

And, the more I stayed here, the weaker I would get. I still had to kill Gretel and she was the only thing I could think about.

Luciano and Lisa were both quiet after listening to my rant. My eyes trailed over at Luciano and I asked, "Are you going to take me back or should I find some other way? I want to speak your mother."

"Fine, fine, we will go." He agreed, huffing out a breath of frustration. "At least eat something."

"I am," I gave them both a smile before chewing on the apple that barely made it's way down my throat.

By midnight, we were on the way to Brittleburgh. There were no words spoken between the ride, it was quiet, just as the way we came here. Instead of admiring the nature and staring out of the window, I switched on the radio and pressed my fingers against my forehead to ease down my scorching headache.

"My mother is in, speak to her. I have something important to do. I'll be back in a few." Luciano said, stopping the car at his house.

I stayed silent, just gave him a simple nod before walking out of the car and going in to meet with Jaqueline.

"I thought you wouldn't be back until a while," she said, studying me. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." I was in a trance for a moment and when I got out of it, I continued, "There is something wrong."

"What?"

"Gretel lied. She can kill werewolves so it isn't just the chosen ones that can kill werewolves. She can as well and she did." I explained to her.

"A weapon must've been used." Jaqueline shook her head in denial.

"No, Nana died because of magic, I could sense it on her when I found her. There was no wound over her body. Gretel killed her with magic which means that she can kill werewolves, including Luciano, with or without my help."

Jaqueline stumbled over the couch, the color drained off her face as the realized the reality of this all.

Gretel never needed me to kill a wolf.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr