21.

Song of the Chapter: PRIDE by Kendrick Lamar

Malory's POV

August, 1991

                          "Watch where you're-"

       The boy and I make eye contact halfway through his sentence and he stops.

         "I'm so sorry," I sigh while brushing myself off. "This is my first time here so I'm a little lost."

       I wait for him to say something, anything in response, but he just continues to stare.

                                "Well I should get going-"

         "No!" He interrupts aggressively. "I mean, if you want I can show you around."

        I glance around at the rows of shops and lines of people. As much as I'd like to do this all on my own, I don't think it's possible.

                              "Okay." I nod.

        The boy starts walking in the direction of the book shop I was headed towards and I follow behind.

              "What did you say your name was?" He turns around to ask.

                         "I didn't," I laugh. "I'm Malory Roberts."

        My name catches his attention. "Roberts? I haven't heard of any Roberts here. Who are your parents?"

            The mention of family makes my feel uneasy. "I don't know my parents."

                         He scoffs. "I wish I could say the same."

                           "Well what's your name then?"

       He straightens his posture. "Draco Malfoy, you've probably heard the name."

            I haven't, but I nod anyway.

         We reach the book shop and head inside. Luckily the crowds are fading so it doesn't take long for me to find the books I need. The only problem is...

                    "Do they have used books?" I ask Draco.

                         He gives me a blank stare. "Used?"

            "You know, ones that are not as expensive."

        He still looks at me confused. "I'm not sure, do you not have enough for these?"

        Never in my life have I had actual money. The only way I could get things is by stealing, but in a place like this I'm not sure that's possible.

               "I'm sure I can find a section with older copies of these books." I tell him.

       Just as I'm walking away, I hear someone approaching Draco and I.

                       "Did you get everything you need?"

           I turn around and see a beautiful woman standing beside Draco. He nods to her and then looks back at me, making her do the same.