Unrequited

You're so strange , gazing at me as you flash a boyish grin. The urge to  slap you across the face is strong as I roll my brown eyes in annoyance and amusement.

We're comfortable in the most alarming ways , in ways that should have me running for the hills as I feel the  walls to my castle slowly lowering. I catch your soft eyes on afternoons when we're propped on your apartments couch drinking whatever wine it is you're experimental with this time. I wonder if we could actually die from toxins , but the thought fades quickly as I smile at you lazily.

Your heart beats Wildly , thumping harshly against your bones as I lay my head on top of your chest. Your skin is soft , different from the feminine feel I am used to ,but definitely welcomed nonetheless. You watch me as I trace the ink on your flesh , asking questions on the stories for each tattoo and trying to contain my scoff as you joke about us getting one together.

I can feel your stare burning on my skin as I lace our fingers together , testing this fragile chemistry. My eyes finally meet your own and we communicate briefly before you tilt your head and press your lips onto mine gently. Immediately after you pull away I burst into a fit of giggles as I meet your gaze in genuine amusement.

But then I see it , hurt flashes through your gaze and it's gone as if I imagined it. And then as if on cue my heart decides to drop into my gut , as I realise that maybe I should have payed more attention to the signs. We shrug the encounter off ,but deep down in the confines of my mind I know that soon it will be time. The lines of our friendship have been blurred in your eyes.

                          -Liyah Smith