Cherry Bomb

Jaehyun was right. He wasn't be able to attend dinner. I wasn't surprised by his absence; It was everyone else's absence I was surprised by. Not a single member of 127 nor Jaemin or Jeno attended dinner that night, leaving Jessi, Jisung, Chenle, and I to awkwardly sit around theorizing about what business they had that kept them away.

<><><><><>

Jaehyun could feel his blood boil as Taeyong and Jeno made him aware the sudden turn of events.

"And you're sure the messenger was unaware of the message's contents?" He asked the two men.

"We're sure," Taeyong answered.

"Since we don't usually receive deliveries directly to the house without being made aware of them in advance, I took every precaution in questioning the man myself," added Jeno.

"His story checked out. We quickly confirmed that he was a registered courier at a local delivery service within the district. I opened the letter in front of him and once I realized its contents, I demanded all information regarding the letter's origin. After informing Taeyong, we sent over several men over to inspect their security footage, but it seems that the letter was actually delivered to them via a different delivery service. We have men over there as well checking their footage and all, but it seems as though they managed to send the letter through a system I've never seen before. The letter was put into several other envelopes, each one containing instructions and payment for the next delivery. Since each company only opened the outer envelope, we were unable to see any past instruction that may had been included before the letter reached each individual company."

"How long will it take to trace the source of the letter?" Jaehyun inquired.

"We don't know. It depends on how many companies they went through. We won't be able to locate the original sender, especially if their trail is long gone by the time we reveal any trace of their identity. We might not even be able to discern how long the letter has been in transport for quite some time. Our best guess is that it's only been in transport for 1 to 2 days." Taeyong sighed, showing his frustration at the situation.

Jaehyun dragged his hands down his face, his good mood now a distant memory.

"Two days, huh?" He pondered, staring down at the piece of paper he held in his hands.

If you fail to hand Y/N over to us, then prepare for a red wedding.

"Call everyone up here, now."

Jaehyun watched silently as his office began to slowly fill with the members of 127.

Taeyong and Jeno made sure to inform them all of the gravity of the meeting thus ensuring that none of the members were to speak until Jaehyun officially started the meeting.

"Where is he?" Jaehyun demanded.

Everyone began exchanging glances, not yet sure of who exactly it was that Jaehyun was referring to.

"We're here," Taeyong announced as both he and Winwin entered the room.

"And where exactly were you?" Jaehyun asked, making it obvious that his question was directed more at Winwin than the both of them.

"He was in the library, reading," Taeyong answered for him.

"If he was that close, then why was he the last to be found?"

Winwin approached Jaehyun. He reached his hand into his pants pocket, retrieving a pair of earbuds before placing them on the oak desk.

"I had them in, so I couldn't hear my name when it was being called," Winwin smirked, staring straight into the eyes of the man sitting in front of him.

Jaehyun scowled.

"You know, Winwin. Ever since I relieved Johnny of his duty to keep an eye on you, I often spent my time wondering where you were and what you could be off doing."

"Well, isn't that sweet?" Winwin commented, his tone filled with mockery.

Instead of getting angry, Jaehyun smiled, catching everyone, including Winwin off guard.

"As it turns out, my musing was pointless," Jaehyun explained, as he placed the letter on the desk, directly on top of Winwin's earbuds.

Winwin read the letter without needing to touch it or lean closer to it.

He frowned but said nothing.

Jaehyun continued.

"I don't have to ask myself where you've been or what you've been doing because I already know."

Winwin already knew what was coming.

"You've been telling Wayv our secrets."

The meeting went as one would expect. Jaehyun showed the letter to the remaining members, had Taeyong and Jeno go over what they had gone over earlier with him, and then Jaehyun posed the very important question, "How come only days after Johnny stopped watching over you, we receive a letter from Wayv confirming that they found out about the wedding?"

"We don't know that for sure," Yuta interjected.

Everyone looked up at him expectantly. Yuta froze, as though he came to Winwin's defense without having even thought of what he was going to say.

Before Jaehyun could move on, Taeil began to speak.

"Wait, he's right. Didn't Taeyong and Jeno say that we have no way of knowing for sure how long the letter has been in transit? It's possible that the letter has been in transit since before Johnny stopped keeping watch over Winwin."

"Yeah," Yuta exclaimed, having regained his momentum.

"And besides, wouldn't Winwin have known that updating Wayv this soon after regaining his freedom would put him under suspicion?"

Jaehyun paused.

"Perhaps, but that doesn't out rule the likelihood that Winwin's loyalty is with Wayv. It's highly probable that he prioritized his mission to leak information over his own safety."

"No, that's not necessarily true. If that were the case, then why would Wayv have sent such a message? If they knew that the wedding going to be announced in five days anyway, then why would they put Winwin under suspicion? Wouldn't they want us to trust Winwin so he could leak information more easily?" Taeil pressed on.

Jaehyun, Taeil, and Yuta continued arguing with each other as Winwin and the others watched in silence.

"I've made my decision," Jaehyun announced.

"Winwin will be removed from any NCT related activity until further notice and will be placed back under heavy watch."

"Will I be the one to watch over him again?" Johnny asked.

"No," Jaehyun answered.

"This time, Taeil will be the one to watch over Winwin."

"But sir, I thought you said you didn't want me to watch over him given our close relationship."

"I am aware of that Taeil, but given how eager you are to prove Winwin's innocence, perhaps that will motivate you in making sure that nothing gets past you. If Winwin were to fall under suspicion again, just know that you'll be the one to we turn to in confirming his innocence. I also doubt that if Winwin were to display suspicious behavior that you would try to cover up for him."

Jaehyun looked at Winwin.

"Today cameras will be set up in your room. You are not to leave your room without Taeil there to escort you. You will not be permitted to use any electronic devices without Taeil either. As for the rest of you,"

Jaehyun looked around the room.

"From this moment on, no one is permitted to speak to Winwin regarding anything NCT related."