//hostage//

(No one:

Y'all reading the chapter name:
👁 👄👁💧

me writing it: 💃💃

THE FANART IN THE COVER IS NOT MINE, BTW.

THE WAY BOTH Y/N AND RAY WOULD DO THAT TOGETHER- LMAO Y/N PUSHING EMMA WHILE RAY SHOVES NORMAN

I'LL LEAVE NOW-

PLEASE ENJOY~~~)

My feet made barely audible sounds on the ground as I walked. My hands clenched and unclenched on my gun and I swallowed dryly.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. A while ago, everyone had gone to bed, albeit a few of us older kids choosing to keep watch for the night. I'd taken watch from Ray a few shifts ago, but this uneasy feeling in my stomach still churned, and I found myself unable to sleep. So I traded with Emma and continued to keep watch.

I nimbly climbed up into a tree nearby the cave entrance and nestled onto one of the large branches. I leaned back against the tree and sighed, closing my eyes. After listening for a few minutes I opened my blue eyes slowly, peering through the tangle of branches up above to the starry night sky.

There was a sudden flutter of feathers and I flinched at the sudden noise, turning beside me in shock.

An owl sat staring emptily into my soul. I blinked for a moment before smiling. I reached out and patted the motionless owl nestled beside me before turning back to my surroundings. After a minute of silence I sighed.

"Have you seen anything, totally inconspicuous bird?" I asked. The bird clicked and whirred all of a sudden but stayed silent. "Wow. Those are some totally normal noises for an animal." A cold breeze blew past me, sending strands of my longer hair blowing into my face. I brushed them away carefully and tucked them into my ponytail. I continued talking to myself- or the "person behind the bird camera", rather, while I waited in the tree for a disturbance. "Did you receive my message? Ah, I suppose you can't answer me. Are you confused? Do you have your suspicions? I wonder if you're any different now. Oh!! Did you listen in on my explanation?" I turned to the bird curiously to see it staring at me blankly. "B*stard." I cussed the silent bird out. Norman should've equipped it with a mic so he could talk to me through it-

"Who are you calling a b*stard?"

I jumped a foot in the air. "WHAA- IT SPOKE, IT SPOKEEE!!" I yelled frantically, waving my arms around and nearly falling off of the tree. "EHHH-??!" I fwipped my head around to look at the owl again but it was gone.

"...what the hell are you doing?" My eyes widened again. I whipped to the side and saw none other than Ray climbing into the tree. I've got to stop doing stupid things around him.

I rested my head in my hands and sighed. "Ohmygoddontscaremelikethat." I exhaled, trying to calm my racing heart.

"Scare you-?" Ray muttered, climbing the rest of the way, flopping down a few feet away on the massive branch. "So who exactly were you talking to?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Yourself again? Or maybe the woodland critters?" He made a sparkle motion with his fingers, as if adding pizazz to his "woodland critters".

I leaned back onto the branch and looked up at the heavily obstructed night sky. What a beautiful sight. It's almost as obstructed from sight as my crippling depression. "Oh, just Norman."

Ray recoiled back from me and gave me a concerned look. He placed the back of his hand on my forehead. "No fever." He removed his hand and sighed. "Have you just finally gone crazy?"