Chapter Eight: Mr Green Jacket

"Would you look who it is." I scoffed as Kenna walked out into the courtyard with a few of her friends. We made eye contact and she looked away immediately. "Typical. She pretends like she doesn't see me."
"I don't get what you see in her." Riven admitted. "Her eyes are too far apart."
"And you're back to being a dick." I muttered quietly. Kenna then glanced back over at us before she began walking towards the specialist hall. "Shit." I said.
"Eira, can we talk?" She asked me.

I nodded and stood up before walking a few metres away with the girl, turning to Riven and frowning before we stopped. "What did you want to talk about?"
"Our argument yesterday." Kenna said. "I don't want that to be the last time we talk."
"Yeah, well, we've both made our feelings pretty clear."
"Eira, please." The girl frowned. "I want us to go back to the way we were."
"Which is when?" I asked. "When we were dating? Or before that when we didn't even know each other?"
"I like you, Eira. I really like you." Kenna told me.
"Then why did you dump me?"
"Are we really going to have this conversation again?" I looked back over at the steps where I had been sitting to see Sky sat with Riven.
"I'm not in love with him, Kenna." I said. "Why can't you see that?"
"You talk about him all the time. You're face lights up when you're with him and when your talk to him or about him. The proof is there."
"He's my best friend. He's family." Kenna then gave me a weak smile. "I like you."
"Look, a few of us are going out into the woods for a bit. You're welcome to join us if you'd like?" I was so ready to say yes but then I remembered my promise to Stella. I didn't know when she wanted to go and get her ring back.
"I can't." I frowned.
"Another time then?"
"Definitely." I said, now smiling. Kenna smiled back and before she walked back over to her friends, she planted a soft kiss on my lips. "You should go. They're waiting."

Kenna kissed me again and I watched as she walked through the barrier with her friends. I really did like her but something was different. Her lips didn't feel the same. "Care to fill us in?" Sky asked, smiling from the steps as I got a text.
"Maybe another time." I told him. "I'm not entirely sure myself." I saw them both smile as I slotted myself in between them and looked up at Sky. "What's going on with you and Stella?"
"Can we just not talk about it because I know what you're going to say." Sky frowned.
"Fine. We don't have to talk about it." I said. "But what about you and Bloom."
"That redhead?" Riven questioned. I nodded my head.
"You know, I just remembered that I have to talk to Saul about something." Sky claimed as he stood up and walked off.
"Liar." I laughed. "I still want to know where you were earlier." I then said to Riven.
"If you must know, I met someone." The boy smiled.
"Really?" I asked. "Who?"
"Her name's Beatrix. She's a first year."
"Well, make sure you have fun with that." I said, forcing a smile and hitting his knee before I stood up. "I actually promised Terra that I would help her with something. So I'll see you later."

***

I couldn't sleep that night so I walked out into our living area with a book and started to read it. The other girl's were asleep apart from Stella. She wasn't here for the second night in a row and I just assumed she had gone to stay with Sky again. However, it wasn't long after that when the door opened and Stella entered the suite followed by Bloom. "How come you're still up?" Bloom asked me.
"Couldn't sleep." I said. "Where were you?"
"Stella was actually helping me with my magic." Bloom smiled. I gave Stella a small smile and she sighed before looking over at her room.
"Well, I'm going to bed." She said before disappearing.

Bloom then fell back onto the sofa beside me. "So..." I began. "You're a changeling."
"Yeah, I guess." Bloom frowned.
"I'm sorry, it's just... nobody has seen or heard of a changeling in centuries."
"I get that, I do. It just sucks finding out that my parents aren't my real parents." She told me before taking a deep breath. "And then finding out that Miss Dowling doesn't even know my real parents."
"I get it." I admitted. "My parents died when I was a baby. I know what it's like not to know who your parents are."
"But at least you have people who can tell you about them."
"And yet I know nothing." I said. "All Farah ever told me was their names and that they came to Alfea. I even tried asking Silva earlier but he just brushed me off."
"Why do you think they won't tell you anything?" Bloom asked me.
"I don't know."
"Well, do you want to find out?"

***

The next day I left the suite with Musa and Aisha. Aisha began to tell us about how Stella and Bloom had gone to the Stone Circle the night before. "Stella was teaching Bloom how do control her magic." I told them.
"How long were they out there?" Musa asked.
"Till late." Aisha said. "I don't like what Stella's teaching her."
"Jealous much?" Musa then asked the girl. "Why is a friendship with Bloom so important to you?"
"Aren't roommates supposed to be friends?" Aisha asked us as we stopped walking.
"We're not the ones to comment on that." Musa said.
"How goes the hunt for Mr Green Jacket?"
"Who?" I questioned.
"This boy she fancies." Aisha grinned.
"And why is this the first time I'm hearing of this?"
"Because you're always running off with your second year friends." Musa smiled.
"Well, who is he?"
"I have no clue. I can feel his emotions." Musa told me. "It's so weird. I can feel him around the corner, but when I turn around, he's never there." The girl's eyes then started to glow pink. "There he is again. Behind me."

I looked behind Musa as a fairy walked straight through the wall. I then smiled. "Mystery solved. An earth fairy." Aisha said.
"I'm not superficial, uh, but is he cute?"
"Hey, Sam." I smiled.
"You know him?" Musa asked me quietly. "Eira, what are you doing?"
"Hi, Eira." The boy replied. "What's up?"
"Hi, I'm Aisha." Aisha the grinned. "And this is Musa."
"I hate you both." Musa whispered. "I hate your children. I hate your children's children."
"Musa's been stalking you." Aisha told Sam.
"Dead." Musa then forced as smile and turned around to face the boy.
"Lucky me." Sam smiled. "Hi, Musa."
"Bye, Musa." I added before pulling Aisha's arm and walking off with her.

"So what is Stella teaching Bloom?" I asked the girl.
"To use fear and anger to control her magic."
"What's wrong with that?" I questioned. "Magic comes from all emotions. If anger is the way for Bloom to channel it, then it's good that she's found something, right?"
"I mean, I guess, but, you weren't in the woods. Bloom almost set the entire forest on fire and then at the Stone Circle it was like she could barely even light a match."
"I think Bloom just found out about fairies and magic. It might take her a little while to catch up with everyone else."
"Eira, I've been looking everywhere for you." Sky said as he approached us. "Silva was looking for you. Something about Miss Dowling needing to talk to you?"
"Okay." I said before turning to Aisha. "We'll talk later, okay?"

"You don't have to walk with me, Sky." I told the boy as we made our way to Miss Dowling's office. Sky frowned and I stopped walking. "Sky, what is it?" I asked him. "You know something." The boy then scratched the back of his neck. "Sky, tell me."