― chapter 16.

❝ intimidated? is that what you think? ❞

THE LAST THING ANYONE WAS expecting to see at school was Eli Moskowitz with a blue mohawk.

Ayane, Miguel and Demetri all stared at him in disbelief as he approached them.

"You mean to tell me Hawk... got a hawk?" Ayane asked, raising her eyebrows as he smirked.

"I took Sensei Lawrence's advice," he announced, leaning coolly against the lockers.

Demetri scoffed. "You took advice from that man? He assaulted me!"

Ayane turned to Miguel, shaking her head with confusion. "Did I miss something?"

Miguel shook his hand sideways. "A little bit."

She looked at Hawk once more, finally unable to help but smile.

"It's badass," she nodded with approval.

Hawk smiled back. "I know."

Ayane exchanged another look with Miguel as Hawk walked away.

"Are we sure that's not his evil twin or something?"

Miguel chuckled, throwing an arm around Ayane. "Sensei... wasn't so nice to him. And so I guess- this is his retaliation."

She made a face, shrugging. "I dig it."

The lunch periods were becoming less and less boring, as mostly everyone in the friend group had established a badass reputation. Everyone except Demetri, anyway.

"Get this," Ayane said to Miguel, rolling her eyes. "Last night I go to the LaRusso's for lessons, and Mr. LaRusso is there with some kid, teaching him karate."

Miguel frowned. "Wait- isn't that a good thing? It's another student. That's less pressure on you."

Ayane pursed her lips, quickly replying, "No, it's annoying. The kid is annoying. His name is Robby, and he's supposedly in college. But- in my opinion- he looks the same age as us. Something doesn't add up about him."

The boy nodded slowly. "So... why don't you like him? Other than him being annoying?"

Ayane huffed with frustration.

"I don't know. He just seems like an ass."

Miguel shrugged. "I guess that's a valid reason to not like someone. But- don't you hate everyone you meet?"