chapter 6.

"but... how?" elowen's confusion continues to consume her. "I... no one else was with me. no one was in that store besides... I don't understand any of it. you must've been following me. you... why did you help me?"

there's a stark shift in the air between them. 

the man in front of her scoffs coldly, still leaning his shoulder against the brick wall. "are you bothered that I did?" elowen's lack of a response gives him reason to clarify. "help you, I mean. I didn't stalk you, if that's what has you so worked up. let's just say you were fucked if I didn't happen to also be there."

"why were you there?"

"why does it matter?"

they stare at each other in a competitive silence.

"that could've just as easily gone badly." elowen huffs a chilly breath, breaking their contact and scanning their surroundings. the eerie alley, as unsettling as it already is, is too quiet for her liking. "do you think those guys are gone?" she wonders aloud.

out of the corner of her eye, she sees him nod. "yeah."

she looks at him. "how are you so convinced?" the way those men ogled her, picturing what she must look like beneath the layers of clothes, makes her skin crawl with apprehension. they wanted her. would they leave her so easily?

"I just assume the last thing those murderous thieves are concerned about is where their little plaything managed to run off to. they had better things to do, I'm sure of it." when she frowns, still concerned, he adds, "don't be too offended. It was simply the circumstances. any criminal would be lucky to have you."

elowen bristles at his sarcasm. "what almost happened to me wasn't funny."

his eyes seem to darken before her, a severe quality to them. "I'm aware."

"then why are you making jokes?"

"I was hoping to ease some of this tension. maybe it was too soon. I didn't mean to offend you."

"this is hardly the time," elowen says, but his non-apology is sincere enough. she drops it after that, her anxious thoughts driving her attention elsewhere. she peers around the corner of the building to the side street bordering the walgreens. It's empty, save for a singular parked car on the shoulder. no sign of criminals or their getaway vehicle. It's until now that air flows into her lungs with less resistance.

when she turns back around, the stranger has started descending down the alley. a panicked jump in her pulse has her following after him. "you're just going to leave?"

"I'm sorry, were you not finished being ungrateful?"

a stunned breath leaves her at his bluntness. had he expected her to be fawning over him, thanking him repeatedly for being a decent human being? what he did could have gotten both of them killed. besides, they don't even know each other. he could have had other intentions for saving her. to have her for himself, perhaps. then again, if that were true, he wouldn't be walking away...

shaking the thought, elowen finds herself still unable to release her tension. as forgiving and kind as she normally is, her father's words still ring in her ears, luring her away from naivety. 

she swallows thickly before speaking, still trailing behind him. "wait," she calls. quickly, the realization that she hasn't said thank you even once picks at her. she can't deny the sting of guilt she feels at the way she's come across. coupled with her fear of being alone again, she concedes. "I'm won't kiss your ass now, if that's what you're expecting, but...I-I appreciate what you did for me."