The truth

Azzy embraced me in a hug, gently pulling me away from the door and into the living room.

"Okay Bean sit tight, I'm gonna bring you some water because you look a little pale. Just stay there, okay?"

I nodded weakly as she disappeared into the kitchen.

About a minute later, I heard the back door open. I focused my gaze on the wall as River came inside.

I heard him walk in front of me, but I refused to make eye contact.

"Baby..." he trailed off.

"Please look at me."

The pure desperation in his voice made me turn my head in his direction. I still refused to look in his eyes though, opting to instead look at his shirt.

River let out a long sigh before moving forwards and crouching down in front of me. He lifted my chin up, forcing me to look in his eyes.

"How much of that did you hear?"

I blankly stared at him, not processing what he said. My mind is blank, my body feels numb.

"I-I," I stuttered.

"Baby, it's okay." Usually those words would comfort me, but now they only scare me more.

"Cove I brought you some water and a sandwich." I looked behind me and saw Azzy. I gave her a faint smile as she set the two things down in front of me.

She gave River a look and an encouragement smile before scurrying off upstairs.

"Cove," River brought my attention back to him.

"You should eat," he whispered, bringing his hand up to caress my cheek. I sucked in a breath at the contact, but didn't pull away.

"I-I'm not hungry."

"It will be good for you, please baby?"

"O-okay," I agreed. I don't think it's a good idea do disobey a gang leader, they might shoot you!

River picked up the sandwich and brought it to my lips. "Open."

I slowly opened my mouth and let him feed me the first bite. It's a ham and cheese sandwich, one of my favorites.

"Okay here, keep eating that then drink some water."

I nodded and did as he said. When I finished, I felt a lot better. Not better about the situation, just better physically. I no longer feel like I'm gonna vomit.

"Good job. I'm gonna go put the cup and plate away, then we can talk, okay?"

Again, I nodded. He let out a sad sigh as he went to go put the dishes back in the kitchen.

I'm seriously contemplating fleeing while I still can. I can just run out the door before he gets back- no. As hurtful as the truth may be, I still need to hear what he has to say.

He came back a few moments later and sat down on the loveseat in front of me. Good, at least he's giving me some space.

We sat in silence for what felt like an entirety. I don't know if I should speak first or if River should.

"Cove, baby, can you please tell me what you heard?" River finally broke the silence.

I sighed and look down, slowly nodding my head. "When I went outside to get you, I heard.. was it you dad?"

"Yes."

"Well I heard you talking to your dad. At first it sounded like he was going to start teaching you about his company. But then- I didn't mean to ease drop, I was about to go but then he started saying something about life or death."