30. dynasty

-six years and 3 days on the ring-

The bliss that existed for the first few years on the Ring didn't prevail forever. 

It all started with John and Emori's breakup. He was upset that she was doing so much to try to get us back to Earth, meanwhile he felt inadequate. He pushed her away, and she kicked him out. 

Now, you may be wondering what his has to do with me. The answer is nothing and everything. 

Following their particularly nasty breakup, Murphy had taken it upon himself to punch a wall, and considering the composition of this ship, the wall won that match. 

Thus, me being the only one with any medical training, I was tasked with venturing over to the unoccupied part of the ship Murphy had newly claimed as his own, in order to bandage him up.

He refused my help at first, but eventually gave in. I went back the next day to check on him, and then found myself doing so everyday. From there on out, I rarely went a day without seeing Murphy. 

And no, there was nothing even remotely romantic between the two of us. Rather, I had actually come to consider Murphy one of my friends

Bellamy didn't see it like this. 

The two of us seemed to be growing more distance as of late, even despite the promise we had made to each other three years earlier. 

I was always gone when he woke up in the morning, often working with Raven and Emori. And he seemed to never be home at night when I went to sleep, usually training with Echo or helping Monty with the algae farm. We barely saw each other anymore. 

And it was painfully obvious that he hated how much time I spent with Murphy. No matter how many times I assured him that he was the one I was in love with, not Murphy, nothing changed. 

Everything truly came to a head six years and 3 days after we had left the ground. Tensions were running high between all of us, each of us frustrated with our lack of progress on returning to the ground. Turns out some of us channel our frustrations differently than others. 

I was walking back to my quarters, accompanied by Murphy who took this as a chance to roam the ship. He refused to join us at meal times, or at anytime of the day really, not wanting to be with the whole group. So, when it was late at night, he would often take the chance to leave his side of the ship.

"You know you can just rejoin us, right? Then you don't have to sneak around here at night." I questioned, looking over to him with an expectant look.

He scoffed. "What, and have Emori verbally attack me everyday?"

I sighed, moving to hit the button that sent the doors separating the two parts of the ship open. "Give her a break, John. You're the one who screwed things up with her."