7 ~ Duke of Cowborough

A little over a week had passed since the visit to Lady Crawley's house

A little over a week had passed since the visit to Lady Crawley's house. Today, Downton Abbey prepared for the arrival of the Duke of Crowborough. Evelyn was usually excited by guests visiting Downton, but this man was here for one thing and that was to snatch Mary for her money. She took what Cora said to heart and felt bad that Mary couldn't hide the money, though Evelyn wasn't sure how long she'd be able to hide hers either.

Evelyn stood beside Mrs. Patmore in the kitchen, rolling out the dough for a raspberry tart and chatting with Gwen. Anna walked into the kitchen and over to her.

"It's about time you go up and get ready, it won't be long before he's here."

Evelyn groaned. "Do I have to?"

"You're not excited about a Duke visiting?" Daisy asked in surprise.

"Most Dukes are prideful and duplicitous." Daisy stared at her confused. "Means they're manipulative."

"Oooh." Daisy nodded.

At the mention of the Duke, Thomas's interest was suddenly piqued as he strode over and stood in front of her. "And how do you know he's like all the others?"

"I have an instinct about people." She smiled confidently.

"Oh, do you now? What does your instinct tell you about your doctor?" He smirked.

"Well. He's nice..."

"That's it? He's nice?" Gwen asked curiously. Gwen was one that Anna confided in about her concerns about Ben, though she would never admit that to Evelyn.

Evelyn shrugged. Thomas smiled at the lack of 'reading' for Ben. He put on his signature smolder and leaned over the counter with his arms pushed against the wooden tabletop, making his shoulders seem bigger than they already were. His new position putting him much closer to her. "And what does your instinct say about me?"

She popped a raspberry into her mouth before meeting his gaze and leaning in as well. "My instincts tell me that you're conniving, cocky, brash, and absurdly annoying." She leaned in a bit more with every word until their noses touched. She could see Mrs. Patmore watching them tensely out the corner of her eye.

Evelyn leaned away from him as his eyes, which held a look she had never seen before, watched her plant herself back on her feet. He smirked again. "I'll take it."

Mister Carson strode into the kitchen. "Mises Patmore I need - Evelyn! Go upstairs and get ready you look a mess!"

Anna grinned. "Oh, he used the formal name, you're in trouble. Come on, I'll help you clean up."

Evelyn and Anna maneuvered through the kitchen, Evelyn sticking her tongue out at Mr. Carson before heading up the stairs.

--------------------

"This dress is uncomfortable." Evelyn pouted as she stood in front of her full-length mirror while running her hands over the tiny buttons that ran down the middle of the baby blue bodice. "It's too tight. The buttons are gonna burst off and how lovely that will be in front of a Duke! I don't think Aunt Cora understands I'm not flat-chested like Mary...don't tell her I said that."