XII. WATER AND STAIRS

EPISODE 4: AN AFFAIR OF HONORCHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12. WATER AND STAIRS

 WATER AND STAIRS

DIANA BRIDGERTON SPUN AROUND the dance floor, laughing and giggling, as Prince Louis watched her from the side.

"Whatever did you do to that girl, Louis?" Queen Amelia asks, coming to stand next to him.

"I do not know what you speak of Mother." Prince Louis replies, a longing look on his face, as he watches Diana get spun around.

"Do you truly believe you can lie to your Mother?" She asks him, with a smile, and he sighs turning to her.

"I lied about who I was." Louis answers, and Queen Amelia turns to him, a sad smile on her face. "But that is not why she is upset. I do not even know why she feels she doesn't know me."

"Oh, my poor boy, she feels that way because when you did not tell her the truth even after getting to know her, she felt you did not trust trust her." The Queen tells him. "She is upset because she is afraid that you will lie to her again."

"But, I will not lie to her, and I do trust her." Louis replies. "Why else would I want to marry her."

"Well, how is she going to know that?" She asks him. "Did you tell her?"

"No, I did not." Louis answers.

"Then, how, pray tell, my sweet son, will she know that?" The Queen tells him, as she walks away, leaving him with his thoughts.

He turns to see Diana, who now randomly spinning in her spot, and sighs, making his way towards her.

"I believe it is time to get you to rest." He tells her, as she guides her towards Lady Danbury.

"Lady Danbury!" Diana greets, loudly, with a huge grin, as she hugs the women. "You..." She continues, holding Lady Danbury's shoulder, as she points a finger at her. "Are my favorite..."