Before and after

We sit at the table. My mother at the head with Lady Bridgerton beside her, and Marina at the other side. Colin beside her, Benedict beside him, and Anthony on the end. I am unfortunate enough to have been seated between Anthony and Prudence, which is almost the worst combination I could have ever asked for. Anthony seems to be just as irritated as me, muttering something under his breath that I am unsure as to whether I was supposed to hear or not. "Pardon me, my lord. Did you say something? It was as though you were mumbling like the bumbling baron berbrooke. I could not hear a word you said."

"And you shall not again. I did not say anything to you." His dark brow furrows and he scowls at me, gripping onto his wine. "I should be seated where Benedict is. I am the viscount and I should be closer to the pair. But alas, I cannot allow Benedict to be seated by the side of you for I cannot trust you. There is much space for wandering hands under this table."

"Wandering hands under the table? Oh, brother, you are hilarious." Benedict speaks quietly so that my mother and his own cannot hear a thing. "Why would I bother with such obscenities when I can simply sneak her into the study and do a much better job of it? I assume your father has a study, Peaches?"

"He does indeed. Easy to get to from the dining room as well, it should be quick enough that no one shall notice." I smile back to him as he winks to me. "Should you wish to pay it a visit before or after dinner is over? I think I should prefer before. It shall be easier to remove my bodice if I am not bloated from all this food."

"Bloated? Oh, well you must be attempting to draw me in now, Peaches. We could consider both before and after, why must we choose?"

"That is a wonderful point, Benedict. I believe that both before and after shall work just splendidly for me." I laugh, Anthony breathing loudly and hardly, so that he begins to draw attention to himself.

"Oh, goodness dear brother!" Benedict now speaks at a higher volume so that the whole table might hear him. "What on earth is the matter with you, this is such a fine meal and such wonderful company, and yet you look as though you do not enjoy yourself whatsoever!"

"The viscount has just told me he wishes to be seated closer to the couple." I interject, doing my very best polite smile which has had much practice over the years. "Perhaps we shall switch seats so that he might be happy?"

Anthony begins to object but Benedict has already risen and is standing behind his chair expectantly. Unhappy as he swaps, but aware that he may not say anything without it coming across as horribly rude, he sinks into the seat and becomes engrossed in the conversation. Benedict turns to me, and I jump ever so slightly as I feel his hand clamping on the top of my thigh. "Oh, Mr Bridgerton. It appears we have found ourselves seated together, I do hope you are not still too outraged by my dress to engage with me in conversation."

"I shall have to consider the matter." He grins at me, squeezing my thigh gently as he reaches for his wine. "Actually, I wished to ask for your opinion on a matter. A very serious matter."

"Oh?"

"Yes, it is a problem I face that I believe I should like a fresh opinion on. Do you think it is unreasonable to ask someone to marry you whilst you are at your own brother's engagement party? The brother shall not mind, I am sure of that, but I do not wish to upset Prudence's family." He teases slightly, arrowing his head so he may look directly at me. "What do you think of it? Do I ask the lady whether she will marry me or do I wait for a time we are alone?"

"I believe the lady you are speaking of should wish for you to do so instantly. Prudence is rather impatient, she should wish for you to ask for her hand right now. You have asked for it in private, and what better time than when the family are already gathered?"

"Miss Peaches, I do believe you present a fantastic argument." His cutlery clatters to the table as he finishes his me, and looks across the table so that he might converse with them. They are in the midst of discussing something, and so he clears his throat to gain their attention. "I do not wish to steal all the joy from my brother and his new fiancee, but I have an announcement of my own I should like to make."

"Oh?" Colin leans forward so that he might make eye contact with his brother, raising a gentle eyebrow. Of course, he is well aware of his entanglement with myself. Penelope mimics his actions, leaning forward with interested eyes. "Well do go ahead, brother. You have my blessing."

"He does not have mine, however." Anthony shakes his head slightly, showing his teeth to his brother as though this shall scare him away. "Give careful consideration to what you say next, Benedict. You should not want to do anything you shall regret. Think of it carefully."

"Oh, I certainly have done." Benedict rises to his feet, holding his hand out to me as he indicates. "I should... well, I wish to announce that I too will be getting married. I have been dancing and talking with Miss Peaches Featherington since the beginning of the season, and I have fallen in love with her over the course of this. She is a beauty, she is talented and she is artistic, and she shall be very happy with me, as I shall be extremely happy with her. Will you do me the honour, Peaches?"

"Of course I shall. Of course."