Part 19

Her departure had caused some confusion.

She had signed on to be there for most of the week, so her abrupt leave had caused some small issues with timetabling.

Conrad was just assuming it would probably take the two days in the capital to handle all of the problems associated with ending a mating.

It had been almost a month since she had last seen Atlas, and she wasn't looking forward to seeing him again.

At the mere thought of having to be in the same room with him, a knot built in her stomach, making her feel ready to throw up.

She pulls the car over to the side of the road, opening the window and inhaling deeply to try to calm herself down.

The mere thought of seeing him shouldn't upset her this much, but she knows nobody would criticise her for it.

The mate bond is different than others, and breaking one is agonising.

She's prepared for that pain, and she knows she can handle it; it's the possibility that they're going to be within a few feet of each other for more than a few minutes that she's struggling with the most.

She can't guarantee that Jane isn't going to freak out, and Conrad has organised herbs to numb Jane for most of, if not all of, the trial.

Charlotte is aware of Conrad's thoughts, and she's going to stand with her at the trial.

If Atlas can have Meg, Charlotte will be damned if she lets Conrad stand on her own.

Conrad appreciates her friend, even if she does feel a little smothered.

She finally makes it back onto the pack lands, smiling at the border patrol wolves she can see in the trees.

She had rented a car in the city, and she has organised somebody to drop it back to the garage later on that day as a favour.

Conrad feels dizzy as the power of the boundaries sweeps over her, shaking her head like a dog with water in its ears.

She pulls up in front of her parent's house, strolling in the door.

"Hey Mom," Conrad yells, dropping her handbag on the stool near the door.

"Conrad?" Barbara yelps, appearing from the kitchen with a mixing bowl in hand.

"What are you making?" Conrad grins, skipping past her into the kitchen.

"Scones. When did you get back?" Barbara splutters, raising an eyebrow in confusion as she follows her back inside.

"About two minutes ago. I'm heading back to the apartment now, the trial is later on," Conrad informs her, and Barbara frowns, shaking her head irritably.

"Your dad has a plane organised. You're going to meet Charlotte there," Barbara lists, wiping her hands on a clean dishcloth, and pulling her daughter in for a hug.

"How was the city? Did you pick up the fudge I wanted?" Barbara asks, releasing Conrad and putting a glass of water into her hand.

Conrad cringes, pausing before opening her mouth.

"I didn't have a chance. I'm going to be back in the city next week, I have projects to finish up, and I can get you all of the fudge you want then?" She suggests, and Barbara frowns, playfully swiping at her daughter with her dishcloth before she goes back to making her scones.

"You should have warned me. I was going to have a piece with my coffee this afternoon," Barbara comments, a little disappointed.

Conrad puts her glass down, wrapping her arms around her mother from behind.