XIII. TRUST & DECENCY

EPISODE 5: THE DUKE AND ICHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13. TRUST AND DECENCY

 TRUST AND DECENCY

The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. Has something happened? The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials... an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar, true love, or concealing a scandal.

"HOW DOES IT FEEL, sister, to be in love?" Hyacinth asks, as all of the girls of the household, make our way down the stairs.

I had a terrible headache from the night before, and I press my head in my palm.

"Imagine leaping off a cliff and shattering on the ground." Eloise comments. "A fair analogy?"

"How would you know what love feels like?" I ask her, and she gives me a fake smile.

"How would you?" She questions back.

"I am afraid I cannot find the words, dear Hyacinth." Daphne answers, as we reach the bottom. "Though, Diana, I believe you will know what love feels like soon enough." She tells me, and I roll my eyes. "And, Eloise, next season."

"You think I am to follow in your footsteps?" Eloise asks. "Can there be a more dreadful fate?"

"You do know that I am setting the standard for your future matches, yes?" Daphne asks her, annoyed. "You should be grateful."

"The only thing I am grateful for is that I am not you, nor will I ever be." Eloise replies.

"Can you both not talk so loud?" I ask them. "It hurts my head."