chapter three

"You live here?" You said, Amanda clutching onto your arm and swaying back and forth slightly. She was wearing Benny's hat and giggling like a schoolgirl.

After a night in Monte's, Benny opened his place up for afters for everybody. You were all stood outside a town house in lower Manhattan. It was impressive.

Benny only chuckled. "No—I live here," He pointed to the floor, where just visible was a small door to the basement. You grimaced, and Matt laughed at your expression.

"Everyone reacts the same way to seeing Benny's place. Beth did it too. She told me she thought Benny was about to kidnap her,"

"But it that sense, he actually did kidnap her, for five whole weeks," Kayden chimed in.

Benny finally got the door open. He looked back, flicking his hair out of his eyes. "Stop spreading misinformation!" He sent a smile your way. "They're a bunch of lying assholes, Y/N."

You sent him a smirk. "Innocent until proven guilty."

You all followed Benny inside. You plopped Amanda on a collection of cushions in the corner of the main room; she was content with laughing to herself about the fact she had a cowboy hat on.

"Boys, lady, drinks?" Benny said from the fridge. He shut the door with an armful of beers. He tossed a can one by one to Kayden and Matt, then held the last one in the air, stare on you. You nodded, and he threw it right at you—you caught it with one hand and opened it with the other.

You'd be lying if you said you weren't paying attention to the way Benny looked at you while you did it.

Benny joined the boys while you made your way around the room, checking out the various books, vinyl records and posters Benny had. On a table to the side sat a copy of Chess Review with his face on the cover. You picked it up with an amused expression and turned to him.

"Something to boost your ego when you feel down?" Matt and Kayden snickered at his expense. Benny only stood up and took the magazine from you, annoyed smile on his face.

"What? I'm not allowed to be proud of the things I do?" He sat down again and started flicking through the pages. "This interview was the best one I've done—,"

"I know," You interrupted, while you sat down on the concrete floor and crossed your legs. "I read it," You gulped down some beer, not expecting to see the expression that Benny was giving you.

He looked positively stunned, like you'd simultaneously impaled him and given him a kiss on the cheek. "I thought you didn't play chess?"

"You don't play?" Matt added.

You let out a sigh, thankful for the alcohol in your system. It made it easier to think about chess and separate it from him.

"I've never played a game, no." You replied. "But I've read practically every book and magazine about chess in my family home," That slapped a grin on Benny's face.

"You've read my book?"

"When are you gonna shut up about your book, man?" Kayden said, downing half his beer can, Matt laughing at his side.

"Yes, I read your fucking book," You chuckled out.

"But you've never played?" Kayden said. You were getting tired of it at this point.

"No—Jesus, I've never played. Why does that seem to stun you all?"

They all went silent as they thought of their responses. You knew they were about to mention your father. You felt drunk enough to be able to act like he was alive—pretend, just for now, that he wasn't buried six feet beneath the ground.