epilogue

7 Months Later

Benny let himself into your apartment, shutting the door behind him as he shrugged off his coat.

"Y/N—,"

"Quiet," You said sternly, not even looking at him as you slouched over your desk, tapping away at your typewriter. "I'm almost done."

Benny huffed as he slumped on the couch, hat still on his head despite being inside. You finished what you were doing, reading off your final line—

I see him in every King, every square of the board, and that's all I need to keep going.

You loosened the final page from the typewriter, sliding it out and holding it triumphantly for a second, before you let it drop onto a pile of another hundred completed pages. You turned to Benny, exhausted, tired, but happy.

He looked you up and down expectantly, eyes beaming. "Done?"

"Done." You confirmed. Before you had time to sigh, he'd jumped up, grabbing you from the desk chair and kissing you hastily. You let yourself fall into his touch, savouring every kiss he gave you like it was fuel. He pulled away, tucking stray pieces of unbrushed hair behind your ears.

"I always knew you'd be a writer, but if I'd known your first book was going to be about chess, I would have edited my own a bit more precisely," He smirked at you in congratulations. You could feel how proud he was of you, just from the way he looked at you.

"I don't know how I had it in me, to be honest. Winning the US Championships this year was enough to make me want to sleep for twelve years," You finally sighed, dragging your feet over to your bed. You jumped onto it, curling into a ball as Benny sat on the edge. He placed a reassuring hand on your ankle, circling his thumb over your skin.

You still didn't know how you'd managed to get him, all to yourself.

"Russia will make you want to be cryogenically frozen, then," Benny let out. After you'd won the championships, you'd forgot that secured you a place in Russia, against the best of the best. It was where your father had secured World Champion—it was where Benny and Beth had competed, too.

It was a lot.

But secretly, despite your exhaustion, you knew you were going to give it your all. Now that the book was done, you had time to relax and train before flying over in a few months. Your mother and Benny were coming with you.

"Cup of tea?" Benny asked, flicking his eyes over you warmly. You smiled smally, your eyelids beginning to droop.

"Yes, please." You let out, as Benny raised from the bed and headed for the kitchen. You forced yourself up once more, rubbing your eyes harshly. You blinked stars out of your eyes, as you made your way back to the desk.

You couldn't help but smile at the manuscript that laid before you—

Adjournment by Y/N L/N.

It was a mixture of many genres—your biography, your father's autobiography and chess tactics laced within. It was a labour of love, taking you three months to complete on top of your end of first year university work, competing in tournaments and the US Championships and somehow holding down a relationship with someone you never thought you'd be able to have—

Benny fucking Watts.

He'd been nothing but caring and supportive, helping you balance everything and keeping you fed and hydrated. Somewhere deep down, you still felt you didn't fully deserve him, but you were learning—and he was helping you realise your true worth.