FORTY-EIGHT

- Chapter Forty-Eight -
"Happy birthday."

(A/N: Just look at this man

(A/N: Just look at this man.)

"Happy birthday!"

The boys eyes snapped open and his brain was forced to work almost straight away on that fine morning. Well, a morning that was supposed to be fine. He had awoken earlier in the night to some rustling and looked around sluggishly to see Sirius' bed curtains rustling slightly. However he thought nothing of it and fell back to sleep, burying his face back into his soft pillow. Now he was suddenly face planting the cold, hard mahogany planks of wood that lay fixed together on the floor of his dorm room.

Remus groaned in shock, pain and having to wake up sooner than he anticipated. He could hear sniggering behind him, definitely Sirius, along with some humorous guffaws from James. A small, feminine giggle came from the group too and he instantly knew that it was Elladora trying to hide her laughs in case he was hurt.

"Are you okay?" Her mellow tone made him smile lazily as he rolled over onto his back instead of being on his front.

Above him stood his four best friends, all smiling down at him with their wands in their hands. It looked like they had all just woken up, but Remus knew that they had just been working for the majority of the night. For example, blowing up the big 1 and the big 7 that were floating behind them. He had no idea when Elladora arrived, he surely would've heard her come in and be able to wake the rest of the boys up, but maybe not after that glitter fiasco ten days ago.

They were all still in their Pyjamas, grinning like mad down at him.

"I'm fine." He muttered, rubbing at his eyes as he propped himself up on his elbows. "What the hell is this?"

"It's your birthday." James shrugged, holding a hand down to his friend so he could pull himself up. He pushed whilst James pulled and they both stumbled when they were on their feet. "Happy birthday, mate." The bespectacled boy slapped his arse as he stepped away.

Remus glared at his back whilst raising a hand towards his behind, but then he had to move them back towards his front when a pile of wrapped gifts were shoved into his hand. He caught them carefully and smiled after seeing that none of them had fallen out of his grip.

"Happy birthday!" Elladora flung her arms around him, bringing him into a hug as he hugged back with only one arm since the rest were cradling the presents that Sirius had stuffed in his hands.

"Thanks, Dora."

"Quickly quickly." James hurried, running over and jumping onto Remus' bed like a little child on Christmas morning. "I don't want to miss breakfast because of your slow and neat unwrapping."