CHAPTER 4

The following week passed in a wonderful, surrealistic blur. The one month anniversary of Ryu's summoning came and went with little fanfare; Carter made several pointed comments regarding Ryu's favour, all of which went ignored.

Fortunately, Carter didn't have much time to dwell on it himself: he was too busy becoming acquainted with Margo to give the favour he owed Ryu more than a passing thought. Too busy laughing at Margo's jokes and sitting with her at lunch and slowly uncovering the bright, intelligent person underneath that solemn exterior.

Margo had an excellent sense of humour, and she told great jokes, and she threw back her head and laughed, loud and bell-bright, when she found something truly funny.

She also had an extensive knowledge of astrology, a pair of impressive, spiked doc martens, and two black cats named Soot and Midnight.

Carter was almost completely convinced she was a witch.

And when Friday came to a close, Carter was almost sad to leave school that afternoon. The very absurdity of it made him want to cringe.

"You can always text me," he informed Margo as they parted at the school gate. "I know your parents travel often, and you're probably used to being alone for a few days, but...well..."

He ran a hand through his hair, making the pale strands on end. "If you ever get lonely-"

"Thankyou," Margo interjected, with that soft, kind smile that made you feel understood and accepted in a single moment. It was wonderful. "I'll let you know."

But Carter knew Margo wouldn't get lonely. She loved solitude, admitted to craving it far more than was advisable, and she had a quiet, self-assured kind of aura that let you know the strength and independence of the spirit underneath her withdrawn persona.

So when his phone rang at 2am that night, Carter could scarcely believe the words flashing across the screen.

Margo is calling.

For a moment, he stared blankly at his phone, mind whirling. Then his thumb slid across the screen, and he lifted the phone to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Carter?!"

Carter flinched at the panic in Margo's tone, heart pounding as he jolted upright. Nearby, Ryu leaned across the end of the bed and peered curiously into Carter's face.

"Margo? Are you okay?"

"Carter, I need you to come over right now!"

Now Carter was well and truly alarmed. Margo's voice was scratchy and raw, as though she'd been screaming. He could hear the tears in her voice, the wobble in every word.

"What's wrong?!" he demanded, scrambling out of bed and fumbling for the light switch. Ryu was watching him with wide eyes.

"It's a...There's a...Oh god, I don't even know!" Margo sobbed, voice crackling, panic evident in every syllable. "Carter, I think...I think...I think it's a demon!"

Carter froze, a hoodie half dangling from his forearms.

"What?"

As he tugged the hoodie down, Carter realised, absently, that he was shaking.

To make matters worse, Margo was only growing more incoherent by the minute. "I was in bed...and...and....Oh my god!"

"Okay, Okay," Carter began, attempting to interject a semblance of clam into his voice. The most important thing, he knew, was to remain as cool-headed and rational as possible. Regardless of whether or not it really was a demon, Margo needed help. "I'll be right over. Text me your address?"