Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                I never even knew that there were so many types of vases until I entered the flower shop. Immediately, my nose was filled with an empowering scent of many mixtures of flowers. I scrunched up my nose in disgust, noticing that Everett didn’t seem to content with the smell, either. Everything in the flower shop was so pink and girly, and it made me cringe.

                An old woman appeared from the back of the flower shop, holding a pair of scissors in her hand, while wearing an apron that had a rose print on it. “How may I help you?” she asked.

                Everett scanned his eyes around the shop, before he cleared his throat. “We’re looking for flower vases?”

                The woman clapped her hands together, nodding eagerly. “Yes! Would you like to see metal, ceramic or glass vases?”

                Everett blinked, before licking his lips. “Um, which ones are used for weddings?”

                The elderly woman gasped, before she hurried towards us. She stared between Everett and I with a twinkle in her eyes, as I frowned, glancing over at Everett. Everett seemed to be just as confused as I was, as he rubbed the back of his neck with confusion. “Oh my!” the woman let out a shrilled squeal. “Are the two of you getting married?!”              

                My eyes immediately widened, as I choked on my own saliva. I let out a misfit of coughing, as Everett, who stood beside me, had an impassive look on his face. My cheeks turned scarlet red, as I immediately shook my head. “No, no, miss, you’ve misunderstood.” I hurriedly said, trying to make everything not so awkward. “Can we just see the wedding vases?”

                The old lady winked at me, as I blinked back at her. “Right this way.” She cheered, as we followed her over to the right side of the shop, where there was a shelf of glass vases. They were all lined up according to the types of vases, as I raised an eyebrow. Never have I ever seen so many vases at one time. The vases ranged from colored ones, to round ones, rectangular ones, and even a unique one that had many twists and turns. I nudged Everett’s elbow, whose gaze was focused on the round vase that was on the bottom shelf.

                Another customer suddenly came into the shop, as the old lady excused herself to go help her while we decided. “What vase is your dad looking for?” I asked, picking up the round on that Everett was looking at.

                Everett shrugged. “I don’t even know.”

                I bit on my lower lip, suddenly remembering the time when Everett and I accidentally broke his mother’s vase when we were little. We were chasing each other around the house, when I accidentally tripped over the leg of a table, and pushed Everett’s mother’s vase on the ground. The vase exploded, as the shards of glass fell everywhere.

                “What are you thinking?” Everett asked.

                “About the time when we broke your mother’s favorite vase.” I whispered, a faint smile appearing on my face just from the old memories.

                Everett stayed quiet for a moment, before he licked his lips. I looked over at him, his eyes casted on the ground. At that moment, I knew that he knew exactly what I was talking about. I knew at that moment that he remembered. “I meant what you think about those vases.”

                My lips suddenly parted, as I stared back at Everett with a blink. His eyes weren’t filled with hatred towards me, like they have been for the past two years. But, for once, he stared back at me just like the way he used to. His blue eyes welcomed me in, like he still loved me the way he did two years ago.