𝐈𝐕.𝐕

OUT

Darla walked into to see Steve watching the news. They were talking about the event that happened in Nigeria last month. Darla turned the tv off causing Steve to turn his attention towards the girl.

"You should really stop watching that." Darla whispered. It was her first day back at the compound. She had gone to visit her family, she needed some time to accept what had just happened.

"Welcome back." Steve said plastering on a fake smile as he stood up.

Darla's eyes instantly flickered towards his bruised knuckles and split lip. Her smile dropped.

"What happened?" She questioned walking towards the man and grabbing his knuckles.

"I want him gone." Steve spoke up calmly. He pulled his hand out of the girls grasp.

"Who?" Darla questioned confused, not understanding who Steve was on about.

"Mateo. I want him gone. He's not ready. He can't stay here anymore." He didn't want to tell her what really happened. He couldn't.

Darla angrily chuckled, shaking her head at the man. Not believing a word that he just come out of his mouth.

"Excuse me?" She questioned raising her brows and crossing her arms. "He's ready. I trained him."

"Listen to me, Darla." Steve ran his hand over his face as Mateo walked in.

"What's going on?" Mateo questioned as he looked between the pair.

Darla ran her tongue over bottom lip and let out a breath.

"Yeah, Steve, how about you tell me what's going on?" She clenched her jaw, trying her hardest not to get too angry, but the lights still flickered.

"Mateo isn't the right fit for our group." Steve crossed his arms and stood tall, he wasn't going to back down from his point. "He needs to leave."

Mateo stood behind Darla, he placed his hand on her shoulder. The girl let out a small breath and calmed at his presence.

"I'm not sure I understand what you mean." Mateo muttered softly. Darla turned to him with innocent eyes.

"Me either." She muttered, turning back to face Steve.

"He needs to leave." Steve pointed to Mateo. "Tonight."

"If he leaves, I leave." Darla crossed her arms. "He's not going anywhere."

"Dar-"

"I mean it, Steve. He's not going anywhere." Darla couldn't understand why Steve was being like this. Why he wanted to throw Mateo out.

"He's got to go."

"My boyfriend isn't leaving. Not now, not ever." Darla snapped, grabbing Mateo's hand and pulling him out of the room with her.

Steve felt as if his heart had just broken into a thousand pieces. The girl he loved had just walked away from him with a man that he didn't trust nor like in the slightest.

He had a bad feeling about Mateo, one that he just couldn't explain. He knew that if he brought it up with Darla, that she would instantly shut him down and go on about how Mateo was a good person and that he saved her life.

Angered, Steve slammed his fists into the wall. Thinking back to Lagos where Mateo saved her life from the bomb when he couldn't.

He knew that he had no right to be jealous. He knew that if he wanted the girl to know how he truly felt, he should have said so before now. There just never seemed to be a right time for them.

"Boyfriend?" Mateo spoke up cockily as Darla slammed her bedroom door shut.

"I-Um-" Darla stuttered over her words.

"I like the sound of that." He smiled cupping her cheeks and connecting their lips. "I like the sound of that a lot." He mumbled against her soft lips.

Darla let out a soft squeal as she threw her arms around his neck and jumped into his arms. Mateo's hands cupped her thighs and lifted her up higher. She wrapped her arms around his torso as he walked her to the bed. Mateo gently lowered Darla down whilst keeping their lips connected.

The blonde was unbelievably happy. This was all she wanted since she was 15. To be with the boy that saved her life.

His lips found their way down to her neck, making her let out a small gasp as he left a rather large hickey.

Darla sat up and pulled away from the boy. Mateo furrowed his eyes not quite understanding.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"It's okay." He smiled, "I understand."

Darla knew that he didn't understand. Because if he did then he would have known that she was thinking about Steve. Despite being mad at him, she felt guilty that she didn't give him a chance to explain.

She felt guilty for not saying a proper hello or goodbye. She felt guilty for kissing him back when they were defeating Ultron and not bringing it up again.

Darla felt as if she was cheating on Steve, even though she was single and free to do as she pleased. Something just didn't sit right with her about what she was doing with Mateo.