Nine

"911," Erin looked at her pager the next night. "911," she repeated.

"Go, then," George said.

"911. I don't know what case I'm on. Satan kicked me off the quints," she said. Meredith's pager beeped.

"911. I guess you're back on. Come on," Meredith grabbed Erin's hand and they raced towards the elevator to get to the ER. They scrubbed in and tied their masks and gowns, walking into the OR.

"I want every intern to get a baby. Erin, I want you to help me with Dorie," Addison said.

"What do you want me to do?" Erin hurried to Addison's side instantly.

"Right now, while I get everyone into position, talk to Dorie. We need Karev before we can start operating," Addison said.

"Got it," Erin nodded. She turned to Dorie. "Hey, Dorie. Remember me? Erin with the tea and muffins?" she said. Dorie chuckled weakly.

"Yeah, I remember," she said.

"It's almost ready and then you're gonna have your daughters to join your sons. You're gonna have amazing kids. They're gonna be really smart and happy and loved and I really think they've got some of the best parents," Erin said quietly. Dorie and her husband both smiled.

"You're really sweet, Erin," her husband said.

"It's easy to be sweet when your patients are nice," she winked.

"Erin, let's go," Addison said. Erin squeezed Dorie's hand before joining Addison's side. She handed her the scalpel and watched as Addison began cutting into Dorie's stomach. "Okay, I'm gonna grab the babies, you're gonna cut the chord and hand them off to the interns. Got it?" Addison said.

"Got it," Erin nodded. Addison pulled the first baby out and Erin cut the chord, handing her over to George. Addison handed her the next one, the one with her organs growing on the outside, and Erin handed her to Cristina carefully. Erin handed the next one to Meredith, then to Izzie, and Alex last. They moved to help the surgeons wheel the babies off to either the NICU or into surgery.

"Erin, you can stitch her up," Addison said. Erin nodded and began stitching all of Dorie's layers back up. Once she was done, Addison checked her work and nodded approvingly. "Impressive. Okay, Dorie, we're gonna send you off to recovery, okay?" Addison said. Dorie nodded and the nurses took Dorie. Erin sighed and walked to the scrub room, pulling off her gloves. Addison followed. "Are you alright?" she removed her mask.

"You did that exact surgery to me," Erin pulled her own mask off, throwing it into the bin. She ripped her gown off. "You and Bailey cut me open like we just did with Dorie and you took my baby and you took her away and I never got to see her while she was alive. Was she even alive when you took her out? Was she even breathing or had she died at that point?" Erin asked, turning to face Addison fully.

"She was alive," Addison said quietly.

"I wasn't awake like Dorie was. I don't remember my labour. I don't remember you working on Quinn because I was just wheeled away like Dorie was. I don't remember the agonising wait of sitting there, wondering what's wrong with my baby because she died. She didn't suffer like these babies are going to. It's cruel," Erin hunched over the sink, clutching the metal tightly.

"It is," Addison agreed.

"I feel so shitty for wishing that Quinn was in the same position as any of those babies right now. With a brain or heart defect or her organs growing outside of her body because at least she'd be alive. At least I could hold her tiny hand and tell her that it was all gonna be okay, even if it's a lie. I could've been a mother," Erin whispered. Addison stepped forward, pulling her gown and cap off. She put them on the side and removed her gloves.