Eleven

Erin didn't go with Meredith, Izzie and George to drop Doc off. She knew Meredith had managed to persuade Derek to agree and she didn't really want to see Addison after being a bit of a bitch to her that afternoon. She kissed the dog before he left and then got herself straight in bed to get some sleep before she collapsed on her feet.

When she went back to work, the nurses had gone on strike. Erin walked in without getting things thrown at her, as she was well-liked throughout the hospital. Erin was always nice to the nurses, minus Martha following the quints incident, so she wasn't thought of to be an arrogant surgeon. Cristina, Alex and Izzie were, though, so Erin had to help clean them off before they got into their scrubs.

Meredith had been to visit their mother. She returned to the hospital earlier than Erin expected and dragged her to a corridor to talk.

"Webber was there. He held her hand. They were clearly flirting," Meredith said.

"So they had an affair. They had to have had one," Erin said. Meredith nodded.

"I think he's the reason mom and dad split up," she said.

"Probably. She's not still asking for me, is she?" Erin asked.

"No, I don't think so. I left before I could talk to her and the nursing home hasn't said anything over the phone," she said.

"Good," Erin muttered.

"Are you gonna go?" Meredith asked.

"I don't know. Last time I saw her, I had a miscarriage. The time before that, she disowned me. I don't think we've got a good track record to be going off," Erin leaned against the wall.

"Grey, Grey," someone said. They turned, seeing a woman walking towards them. "Sydney. I'm your new resident while Dr. Bailey is on bed rest," she smiled widely.

"Oh, uh, hi," they said.

"Well, what do you guys want to do today? I've got Alex and Cristina in the ER, Izzie got taken by Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd and George hasn't made it across the line today," she said.

"I've got patients," Meredith said, hurrying off before Sydney could say anything.

"And I want Erin. She's on my service a lot," a clear voice came from behind them. Erin knew it was instantly Addison.

"Of course, Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd. I'll see you around, Erin," Sydney grinned and walked away.

"I would kiss you as thanks right now but that didn't mean anything last time so I'll settle with a simple, thank you so fucking much. I hate happy people in hospitals," Erin turned to Addison with a grin. Addison didn't smile back. "What?" Erin said.

"You didn't drop off the dog you convinced me into taking," she said.

"Oh, yeah, that. Uh, I went to bed instead. I was dead on my feet and Meredith said I should get some rest before I started getting moody and insulting people again," Erin said.

"You didn't blow me off for Rob?" Addison asked.

"Okay, what is your sudden obsession with him? That's all we ever talk about," Erin frowned.

"No, we don't," Addison said.

"You didn't answer my question," Erin said.

"What was your question?" Addison feigned ignorance. Erin eyed her.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter. What cases do we have today?"

"Erin-"

"Addison, what cases do we have today?"