Chapter 17

When I regain consciousness, I'm outside in a neighborhood I don't recognize. I sit up so suddenly my head smacks right into someone else's.

"Fuck, Amelia- ow." A blurry figure that clears up to be Zack holds my forehead back.

I blink. Am I hallucinating? How did I get here?

My hand stretches out expecting to only feel air but it lands on his face like a starfish instead.

"Zack? You're here?" My eyes shoot open. "That wasn't a dream?"

"Let's go."

Behind him, I can vaguely make out Marcus chasing a rabid Mia in the street.

My head dips. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"Amelia, you blacked out."

I'm sober enough to recognize that there's a lot of anger in his voice but not enough to fully process it.

"Oh." I grin. "So you came to join me?"

He doesn't smile back. "We're leaving."

I start poking at his chest. "The big, bad Zack Darrington who fell for the weird quiet girl came to get her. Sounds like a SIMP."

Before he can respond, I shoot up and sprint towards Mia. "Mia!"

"Amelia!" she calls back.

We embrace in the middle of the street.

"Amelia," Zack says tiredly. "Let's go."

"Leave them, bro," Marcus says, gasping for air. "They might start making out."

"Look, Zack!" I call, climbing on top of a rock. "I'm the king of the-woah."

He runs over and lifts me off before I can fall. Our bodies crash together and the smell of him wakes me up a little.

I look at him and smile softly. His eyes are so pretty.

"I knew you'd come for me," I whisper.

He stares at me like he doesn't know whether to yell at me or hug me. His eyes close, a sign he's trying to control his temper.

My face falls. "You're mad, aren't you?"

"We're leaving," is all he says. "Marcus?"

"Got her!" Marcus calls, holding Mia by the stomach as she claws at the air.

"Let me down, you slimy tit!" she yells. He ignores her, waving at us happily as we start to leave.

"Don't fall asleep," Zack says as he lifts me in his arms and starts to walk.

I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. It's too comfortable. My eyes close and I fall into darkness.