Masquerade

The doors of the Salvatore Boarding House echoed behind Abigail.

"What happened?" Abigail asked.

Damon gave Caroline, who was sitting straight up in a chair at the Salvatore Boarding House, a glass of blood. "Here."

Caroline downed the blood. "I'm still shaking."

Stefan came down the stairs.

Abigail sat down on the couch closest to Caroline. "What happened?"

"Go ahead, tell her," Damon encouraged. "You're gonna love this."

Caroline slowly placed the empty glass on a coaster. "I saw Katherine at the Grill. I just stopped by to gawk and... quasi-stalk Matt."

Damon groaned. "Skip the teen drama and get to it."

"I had to pretend to use the bathroom even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus. Katherine was there, posing as Elena. But I knew you and Elena were at the hospital with Jenna." Caroline's hand involuntarily wrapped around her neck before dropping into her lap. "She attacked me. Told me I needed to deliver a message."

"What was the message?" Abigail asked.

"Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone, or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood."

Stefan spoke, "Tell her the rest of it."

"Tonight, at the masquerade ball."

Wide-eyed, Abigail looked to Stefan. "She wants to do it in public?"

He nodded. "Killing Mason threw her off guard."

"She's running scared," Damon picked up where his brother left off. "What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks."

"We can't underestimate her." Abigail's feet were planted to the floor, but she did not feel as if she were in the room. "We have to have a plan that smarter than hers."

"Can we just give her the moonstone so that she'll leave?" Caroline asked.

"No, Katherine's not getting dick!" Damon practically yelled. "I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her, tonight."

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan said.

Damon looked to Abigail, rolled his eyes, and looked back to Stefan. "Don't give me that goody-goody crap."

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan repeated.

"Really?"

"Because I am."

Abigail stood on the front porch of her house, waiting. Jenna was coming home, and she couldn't sit still. Matt's truck stopped in front of the house, bringing the smile she could not muster until then to her face.

"Welcome home, Aunt Jenna!" She called. "Easy, Matt. Grab the door, Jer."

"Hey!" Jenna pulled back from the quick hug Abigail gave her. "Stop fussing. I'm fine."

"Like your sign?" Abigail pointed at the handmade banner hanging in the den. "The doctors said that you have to take it easy."

Jeremy sat down on the couch. "Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, hemorrhage and die, alright?"

"Thank you, Abigail," Jenna said. "Yeah, Jeremy, the only thing I'm gonna die from is embarrassment."

Elena laughed. "No."

"I walked into a knife." Jenna settled on the couch. "How does somebody do that?"

Elena repeated what she had been saying since Jenna woke up after surgery, "It was a freak accident."